Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Thoughts

Re: The Power of Balance
Posted by: Rob Enderle 2008-07-21 09:08:02
See Full Story

I like writing about conflict because it gives you more than one dimension to a story, and there were two interesting conflicts that I ran into last week. The first, more near-term, will likely define the direction of the notebook market, and it is important because it implies an ether/or decision when most of us want both. The other is the constant conflict inside Apple -- which, as was explained to me last week, results in regular and famous screaming matches that in turn help create products like the iPhone.

Thoughts
Posted by: RobEnderle 2008-07-22 09:05:02 In reply to: Rob Enderle
I often get notes from folks who wonder why I point out the $2,400 cost of the iPhone because other things cost as much. This issue is that the folks in question don't actually buy the other things. The iPhone has substantially expanded the smart phone market (RIM actually grew after it launched) which means folks are paying substantially more for a phone they might not actually need. On he 3G notebook comment, the reason 3G isn't used by many is because it is too expensive for most. Or, just becasue something else you don't want is $2,400 doesn't justify the $2,400 iPhone price. The only thing that does is if the iPhone is worth $2,400 to you.

A Bit of a Misrepresentation
Posted by: dmking 2008-07-21 09:16:55 In reply to: Rob Enderle
I'm not sure why Rob "Never Right" Enderle posts that an iPhone costs "US$2,400 phone (more than most notebooks if you factor in the required services)." If you buy a notebook and want 3G access to the internet, it will cost you about US $2,400 just for the service--and that doesn't include being a phone.

Is there a reason people pay attention to Mr. Enderle when he is wrong so consistently?

$2400?
Posted by: kenburg 2008-07-21 10:14:07 In reply to: dmking
While I would not call him Rob "Never Right" Enderle because in general I find him knowledgeable and objective, I don't understand the logic behind the $2400 iPhone. I don't see him refering to Blackberries by their total cost of ownership. I think he objects to Apple claiming that it's half the price. He has stated that he feels that people that can barely afford gas and food are being duped into buying something that is ultimately more expensive. Apple has lowered the cost of entry, and ATT has spread the difference over two years. This actually helps those who have difficulty buying gas and food and yet, for some reason, feel they need an iPhone. Plus, I don't think the ATT rates are any higher for this phone than for any other smartphone. So all of these snide remarks which are really out of character for Rob are all based on "for half the price?"
Jump to:
Should businesses and organizations require staff to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination before physically coming to work?
Yes -- At this point it makes good sense and will help stop the spread of the virus.
No -- It sets a bad precedent against personal privacy and civil liberties.
I'm Not Sure -- There are valid arguments for and against vaccine requirements.