Get the most out of your email and SMS marketing with Drip » Free Trial
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Study: Social Networking Teens Learn 21st Century Skills

Re: Study: Social Networking Teens Learn 21st Century Skills
Posted by: Paul Walsh 2008-06-23 11:48:46
See Full Story

University of Minnesota researchers say they have discovered educational benefits of social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook. The same study also found that low-income students are in many ways just as technologically savvy as their counterparts. The university says this goes against what results from previous studies have suggested. The information was collected over six months this year from students, ages 16 to 18, in 13 urban high schools in the Midwest and released Friday by the university.

Holds true to my experiences talking to inner city kids about web
Posted by: marianmerritt 2008-06-23 11:54:06 In reply to: Paul Walsh
I've traveled to several inner city and housing project-adjacent schools in my experience as Symantec/Norton's Internet Safety Advocate. You rarely find a kid who doesn't have some way of going online and almost all kids (starting as young as 8 or 9 years old) are signing up for Social networking pages. And even without their own page, they all visit the pages of older siblings, relatives and friends.

If the Digital Divide is going away, it's likely due to availability of hand-me down computers, free internet access in clubs, libraries and schools and attention from the media to the issue. It's a bit of good news for how we can address social issues and ensure we don't leave people out.

Marian Merritt
http://community.norton.com/norton/blog?blog.id=askmarian
Jump to:
Should businesses and organizations require staff to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination before physically coming to work?
Yes -- At this point it makes good sense and will help stop the spread of the virus.
No -- It sets a bad precedent against personal privacy and civil liberties.
I'm Not Sure -- There are valid arguments for and against vaccine requirements.