Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Spoofing Flaw Hits Web Browsers

Re: Spoofing Flaw Hits Web Browsers
Posted by: Steve Ranger 2005-02-09 17:31:23
See Full Story

A newly discovered security flaw in popular browsers including Firefox and Opera could be exploited by hackers to carry out phishing scams, security experts have warned. Security services company Secunia issued an advisory detailing the issue, which allows for spoofing of Web addresses. The flaw could be exploited by a malicious Web site to spoof the URL displayed in the address bar, SSL certificate and status bar.

Re: Spoofing Flaw Hits Web Browsers
Posted by: Kagehi 2005-02-09 17:43:39 In reply to: Steve Ranger
All I can say to this is, "Huh??" Why exactly would it not also display "international characters that resemble other commonly used characters" in IE, unless IE is in fact broken? What if it is a valid sight, which just happens to use those characters as part of a real name? Is the browser supposed to do what Windows often does and show a default, 'there is no such character' box/symbol, or what? How the heck is this a security flaw and not just user stupidity at not pating attention to what they are doing? What is next, a dialog box opening up with 24 point text, which asks the user, "Are you absolutely 100% certain this is the right page: www.blah.com/..."? What if they replace a normal 'u' with a normal 'v' and no one notices, is that a 'security' exploit?
Please, I really want to understand how or why this is anything other than human stupidity and something that *needs* to be somehow fixed.... Unless you plan to force everyone on the planet to use only english letters, I don't see how this is anything but a low tech way to take advantage of idiots while using entirely **correct** behaviour.
Jump to:
Should businesses and organizations require staff to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination before physically coming to work?
Yes -- At this point it makes good sense and will help stop the spread of the virus.
No -- It sets a bad precedent against personal privacy and civil liberties.
I'm Not Sure -- There are valid arguments for and against vaccine requirements.