Instantly delete email threats for Office 365 » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Telescope Sees Possible Mini Solar Systems

Re: Telescope Sees Possible Mini Solar Systems
Posted by: John Antczak 2005-02-08 12:21:47
See Full Story

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has spotted a dusty disc of material around a very small "failed star" called a brown dwarf, raising the possibility that there may be miniature solar systems in which planets orbit objects not much larger than planets, scientists said yesterday. The brown dwarf named OTS 44 is only about 15 times the mass of Jupiter, much smaller than any other brown dwarf known to be surrounded by a disc of planet-building material.

Re: Telescope Sees Possible Mini Solar Systems
Posted by: CmdrGork 2005-02-08 12:26:14 In reply to: John Antczak
Reading this article, it seemed that the scientist were surprised by the finding. I can't figure that out. If you look at our own solar system, you see planet size objects surrounded by satelites. Why couldn't a brown dwarf or a larger planet form it own "solar system". I would think there would be quite a few of these brown dward systems in the universe. Large enough to draw in disc material, but not massive enough to ignite as a star. I don't really see this as much of a story.
Jump to:
Should businesses and organizations require staff to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination before physically coming to work?
Yes -- At this point it makes good sense and will help stop the spread of the virus.
No -- It sets a bad precedent against personal privacy and civil liberties.
I'm Not Sure -- There are valid arguments for and against vaccine requirements.