ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Why VR Is Failing

Re: Why VR Is Failing
Posted by: Rob Enderle 2017-04-10 13:09:35
See Full Story

We seem to have trouble learning that three key elements are necessary for a new technology to take hold: It has to appear complete, it has to be compelling, and it has to seem like a value -- that is, be affordable. Compared to what we have today, the car that opened up the automotive market in the U.S. was none of those things -- yet it was incredibly successful. So, this is about perception, which is why the iPod -- which also was none of those things initially, if compared to the iPhone or iPad of today -- also was incredibly successful.

Posted by: jescott418 2017-04-11 10:37:18 In reply to: Rob Enderle
I've saw a big push with VR last holiday season. A lot of those headsets were left on the shelves after them. Just no real content to keep people interested in the technology, some people get sick watching it, some don't see it's any big deal and others just see it as something like 3D which will be a novelty and nothing more. Maybe interests has already waned. As Steve Jobs said once, Apple creates products that people don't even know they want yet. But they will, and that impulse buying along with creating a great product to back it up can make for success. But Apple has had its share of duds too. Products can sometimes just happen at the wrong time, or are poorly conceived. Take Microsoft who did a tablet first, but most forget this. Obviously it was not done as well as the iPad or backed up with a solid app store, or iTunes success. VR might be one of those engineering duds that will resurface one day in a better form. Sort of like Google glasses which never caught on, but not for lack of design or engineering. It as just something people never wanted. Apple made less than a stellar hit with Apple watch. Sure some die hard Apple fans have bought them. But the watch is hardly on every Apple fans wrist. Technology like every other product is accepted or rejected for many reason. Some of which remain a mystery to those who try and guess what consumers will want.

Posted by: jbelkin 2017-04-10 16:56:51 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Pretty simple. It's not a market until Apple enters it.
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.