Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Uber's Self-Driving Fleet Takes On San Francisco

Re: Uber's Self-Driving Fleet Takes On San Francisco
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2016-12-15 05:27:56
See Full Story

Uber on Wednesday rolled out a fleet of self-driving cars in San Francisco, the second U.S. city to participate in its pilot project. Pittsburgh was the first. Riders who request an UberX -- the lowest-priced Uber vehicle -- will be matched with one of the self-driving Volvo XC90 SUVs if one is available and if the customers are willing, according to Anthony Levandowski, head of Uber's Advanced Technology Group. They can accommodate three passengers. San Francisco "comes with its own nuances, including more bikes on the road, high traffic density and narrow lanes," he noted.

Re: Uber's Self-Driving Fleet Takes On San Francisco
Posted by: jescott418 2016-12-15 05:33:44 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
First off, this is not a total self driving car. A person will be behind the wheel in case human intervention is required. Second, you still need someone to fill it with gas, clean the interior, and assist passengers. The lack of human connection if this ever becomes a real self driving technology void of any human involvement seems rather slim. Other than proving it can be done, will I guess also prove if anyone really cares. I don't use public transportation much, but I have been a Uber driver briefly and a public bus driver for a few years. What I found is people like casual conversation with a driver. I don't know how many will find riding around a self driven vehicle that enjoyable when they actually experience it.
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.