Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Gadget Ogling: Honey, I Shrunk the iPhone

Re: Gadget Ogling: Honey, I Shrunk the iPhone
Posted by: Kris Holt 2016-03-31 05:49:22
See Full Story

The iPhone SE packs almost everything from the iPhone 6s into a handset that looks almost identical to the iPhone 5. The only thing that's really missing is Force Touch. It's a smart play, trying to convince iPhone 4 and 5 owners that they can still upgrade to -- almost -- the latest model without the need to take on a device with a larger screen. Having had my iPhone 6 for around six months now, I've grown completely used to it. However, if I had an iPhone 5 that was on its last legs, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the SE.

Posted by: jescott418 2016-03-31 05:56:17 In reply to: Kris Holt
I don't know how this is a smart play? We're basically talking a iPhone 5S refresh here. Nothing new to see with the SE other than a new model naming, a few hardware upgrades and yes you'll save a few bucks keeping a smaller screen. The question Apple never answered is why people would do this? Most people opt for at least a bit bigger screen to better handle the consumption of media and better navigation. Nobody I know ever went bigger and then wished they had stayed with smaller screens. The price will never be enough to entice poorer smartphone buyers in developing countries. Just not enough discount there. This just seems a desperate move on Apple's part to find a few more buyers by reinventing a product. Its a 5C with a better case and hardware. But probably will have the same dismal success.

Posted by: MitchH 2016-04-01 11:47:20 In reply to: jescott418
@jescott418:
Seems pretty obvious to me...Apple said that it sold 30 million 4-inch iPhone models in 2015 alone. You can say it's just a "few hardware upgrades," but it does bring the 4" SE pretty much up to the current state of the art in the iPhone universe. Whether the reason that people continued to buy 4" phones was because of cost or size preference (or both), those interests are continuing to be served for those millions of customers, and now without major technology compromise.
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.