Get the most out of your email and SMS marketing with Drip » Free Trial
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Bash Shellshock Bug Patched but Not Pummeled

Re: Bash Shellshock Bug Patched but Not Pummeled
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2014-09-25 15:39:35
See Full Story

Researchers on Thursday discovered proof-of-concept code that could take advantage of unpatched computer systems, and found evidence of attacks exploiting the BASH Shellshock bug in the wild. Shellshock, revealed Wednesday, could become a major threat to Linux/Unix and Apple operating systems if published patches to BASH are not applied before an attacker cashes in. However, there's some concern that the current patches may not be complete. The U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team on Thursday issued a warning about the vulnerability.

SSI WEB apps beware!
Posted by: Rick94239 2014-09-27 06:56:03 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
This security issue led me to inspect my new employer's own web services.

It turns out that we have an old SSI WEB application - that's right, server side includes! - and it is easy to compromise it with just a tiny bit of knowledge.

Fortunately for us it is behind a paywall which inadvertently provides a little more security. But others should definitely watch out for this kind of old software as once someone gets in there it will be like falling on a spinning saw blade with 4 inch sawtooths: UGLY.
Jump to:
Should businesses and organizations require staff to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination before physically coming to work?
Yes -- At this point it makes good sense and will help stop the spread of the virus.
No -- It sets a bad precedent against personal privacy and civil liberties.
I'm Not Sure -- There are valid arguments for and against vaccine requirements.