Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Souping Up Your Smartphone's GPS

Re: Souping Up Your Smartphone's GPS
Posted by: Patrick Nelson 2012-10-25 11:03:38
See Full Story

At a recent search-and-rescue boot camp I attended, it was clear during unscientific tests I performed that a standalone, dedicated Global Positioning System device was more accurate navigating to waypoints than a smartphone with GPS chip -- but it was only by a few feet. A dedicated GPS device that a buddy operated was spot-on when predeployed marker UTM co-ordinates were plugged in to both devices -- the Android smartphone and GPS -- and both were used to navigate to a flag marker. The smartphone was off by up to 15 feet. But does it matter?

Re: Souping Up Your Smartphone's GPS
Posted by: jafcobend 2012-10-25 11:08:28 In reply to: Patrick Nelson
I found this interesting as you've done most of the same things I have done with my Droid-X. One issue I ran into after an update is that GPS no longer functions in "airplane" mode.

I can still get a fix even though it is no longer on a cell network and its always worked for me in places where there isn't cell service.

But turn on airplane mode and it appears to disable the GPS chip as well. So this is a heads up for others testing their devices. GPS may not function in airplane mode.
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.