Instantly delete email threats for Office 365 » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Great article that should wake us all up!

Re: Keeping the Internet Dream Alive
Posted by: Anick Jesdanun 2009-09-05 09:49:07
See Full Story

Goofy videos weren't on the minds of Len Kleinrock and his team at UCLA when they began tests 40 years ago on what would become the Internet. Neither was social networking, for that matter, nor were most of the other easy-to-use applications that have drawn more than a billion people online. Instead the researchers sought to create an open network for freely exchanging information, an openness that ultimately spurred the innovation that would later spawn the likes of YouTube, Facebook and the World Wide Web.

Great article that should wake us all up!
Posted by: tony4life 2009-09-07 10:17:11 In reply to: Anick Jesdanun
Thanks for the insight as to what's going on with the Internet. I was in the Air Force in the mid-80's and although the networks were closed, people could still communicate with others around the world using e-mail. Before that, outside of overseas calls that cost about $5.00 a minute depending on where one was stationed, one could use the services of a group of people that were part of an interlinked shortwave radio system that allowed brief calls back home for free. With e-mail, we could at least send an unclassified message to someone at a base near family. They could call the loved ones and read the message to them. Now, thanks to the innovations that have taken place in the last five years, troops can call home online from anywhere in the world for free. As important as security is, "decision makers" need to remember that keeping morale high is a great way to keep your people enthusiastic about what you do.

Even Apple should look at their business model. For example, they are so into controlling both the iPhone/iPod Touch hardware and the software that runs on them that they don't see an important point. If they loosened up on what apps will run on their hardware, more people would buy their devices and, IF Apple software was indeed superior, people would buy it too. Imagine if GM would build a car that would only burn a fuel only available at GM-owned fuel stations? Sounds crazy! It's what Apple is doing. AOL did it and they almost disappeared from the marketplace.

People deserve respect. Respect us and you will gain our loyalty! We're ready for it!

An Open System
Posted by: George_Brewer 2009-09-05 09:55:16 In reply to: Anick Jesdanun
I am an older user of the Internet. Bandwidth restrictions or download restrictions are worrisome to me. I am unable to go back to school currently because of cost. Once I am able, then I have to concern myself with being able to take classes online and dole out my usage to keep up in class as well as keep up on other offerings.

You have little to worry about
Posted by: tony4life 2009-09-07 10:35:21 In reply to: George_Brewer
If you're focusing on your classes and using the Internet for research and sending messages or documents, you have little to worry about. If your classes will be video webcasts, you'll be able to check in with the technology people at the school and they will tell you what the requirements are. Then you can check with your Internet provider to see if you'll be OK. Have you filled out an application for student financial aid at FAFSA.com? It's for all students regardless of age. They connect you with grants and loans you can qualify for. If you're a veteran, you can go to the DVA and check with them too for financial help to afford school. Grants are great! Free money used for education that you don't have to pay back! Sometimes you get enough to pay for your class, books and still have money left over to pay for things like transportation or Internet access. Good luck!
Jump to:
Should businesses and organizations require staff to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination before physically coming to work?
Yes -- At this point it makes good sense and will help stop the spread of the virus.
No -- It sets a bad precedent against personal privacy and civil liberties.
I'm Not Sure -- There are valid arguments for and against vaccine requirements.