Get the most out of your email and SMS marketing with Drip » Free Trial
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Don't overestimate the quality of Wikipedia articles

Re: Wikipedia to Tinge Suspect Entries With Orange Cast
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2009-08-31 14:51:00
See Full Story

Wikipedia plans to roll out a new feature with the goal of enhancing the site's credibility. Called "WikiTrust," the optional feature color codes entries based on reliability, according to a Wikipedia page describing the new development. The color-coding tool gives users a "check text tab" that reveals author, origin and reliability of the text. The intent is to highlight spam, surreptitious changes and outright information-tampering by contributors who might have ulterior motives for making changes.

Don't overestimate the quality of Wikipedia articles
Posted by: techwriter37 2009-08-31 18:34:23 In reply to: Erika Morphy
This article is skewed in favor of the accuracy of Wikipedia. I've been a Wikipedia editor for 4 years, and I've got about 50 pages on my watchlist. I'd estimate that a quarter of the edits are vandalism, a quarter are self-interested (either someone with an ax to grind or someone promoting their own website), a quarter are by well-meaning but uninformed people, and a quarter are good edits by knowledgeable people. For the articles that no one's watching, the 75% of poor edits remain in place except for obscenities, which are removed by bots. There's a lot of good information on Wikipedia, and there's a lot of pure nonsense. Don't believe anything you read there without checking a reliable source for verification. The citations at the end of the article are a good place to start.
Jump to:
Should businesses and organizations require staff to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination before physically coming to work?
Yes -- At this point it makes good sense and will help stop the spread of the virus.
No -- It sets a bad precedent against personal privacy and civil liberties.
I'm Not Sure -- There are valid arguments for and against vaccine requirements.