Get the most out of your email and SMS marketing with Drip » Free Trial
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   cells and driving

Re: Did Talking on a Cellphone While Driving Get a Bum Rap?
Posted by: Mike Pearson 2009-08-17 08:26:03
See Full Story

It wasn't all that long ago that the talk about cellphones and driving was all talk. That is, consumers, driving-safety advocates, and lawmakers debated whether using a hands-free device was enough to make talking on a cellphone safe, or whether talking on the newly ubiquitous devices while behind the wheel should be banned outright. However, the startling growth of text messaging and a rash of texting-related accidents have helped put the focus squarely on the tiny keyboards of modern mobile phones.

Put the phone down and drive!
Posted by: bushputz 2009-08-17 11:34:09 In reply to: Mike Pearson
I refuse to use a phone while I drive, because I know how distracting they are.
During my 20-mile commute every day, I make a game out of trying to figure out who is on a cell phone. Whenever I see someone being a bonehead (going from side-to-side in the lane, not signaling lane changes, wandering into other lanes, etc.) I make a guess whether they're on a cell phone or not.
I've got about an 80% accuracy rate guessing which morons will have a phone in their hand.
Anyone who thinks they can use a cell phone (whether talking or texting) while driving is fooling themselves and endangering others.

cells and driving
Posted by: yarrl1 2009-08-17 10:09:55 In reply to: Mike Pearson
Being a retired big truck driver I found that using a cell phone totally distracts the attention from the job at hand, driving. Mentally you are totally concentrating on the conversation, not the road. Much different than a C B radio conversation which are mostly B S. Having talked to other drivers about this, most agreed.

Correction
Posted by: nathan_t 2009-08-17 08:26:45 In reply to: Mike Pearson
14.4 million in 2008 to 1 trillion last year? Typo perhaps?
Jump to:
Should businesses and organizations require staff to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination before physically coming to work?
Yes -- At this point it makes good sense and will help stop the spread of the virus.
No -- It sets a bad precedent against personal privacy and civil liberties.
I'm Not Sure -- There are valid arguments for and against vaccine requirements.