ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   iPad vs netbook

Re: iPad Sales Boom While Netbooks Gather Dust
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2010-05-08 04:47:53
See Full Story

The iPad appears to be making significant inroads into the netbook market, based on research findings and the conclusions of a Morgan Stanley analyst, but other analysts aren't so quick to agree. Netbook sales are no longer growing at the double-digit rates of the last few years, noted analyst Katy Huberty, based on research conducted by Morgan Stanley and NPD. Also bolstering her case is a Morgan Stanley/Alphawise survey that found 44 percent of U.S. consumers who planned to buy an iPad claimed to be buying it instead of a netbook or laptop.

iPad vs netbook
Posted by: mitrich 2010-05-08 04:53:42 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Netbooks are bound to fade even without the iPad.
They are really very slow digital toys, inexpensive and cute.

I have on, an Acer 150-1635. I paid US$299.99 and it is worth every penny. I bought it to manage a hard drive of music and video and do a bit of crunching on projects running BOINC software. Today, it is just doing the crunching, with its Intel Atom N270 1.6 gig processor. It has never had a failed work unit.

But, even on the music, it was so
p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y slow, I replaced it with a Dell Studio14 with an i5-520M processor.

Netbooks are little more than a fad.

Unfortunately, they have been and still are being purchased by naive folks who think that they are real computers.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.