ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   An open letter to Adobe

Re: 5 More Reasons Apple Kicked Adobe in the Knees
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2010-05-04 05:52:03
See Full Story

Last week Apple CEO Steve Jobs fired off the equivalent of a backhand slap in the tech industry -- an open letter, entitled "Thoughts on Flash," describing why Apple believes Adobe's Flash sucks. More to the point, Jobs made it exceedingly clear that Apple isn't going to make Flash available for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad -- not now, not ever. This means no Flash-based video, no Flash-based apps, and while most consumers barely know what this means, it means they'll still be confused as to why some Web sites won't load properly from an Apple mobile device.

But seriously
Posted by: Henry3Dogg 2010-05-05 17:45:10 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Seriously, I think that people underestimate the issue here.

Its not competing content. Apple seem OK with competing content, for example, the Kiddle App. Thats competing content.

The problem is that Flash, in addition to video, is a programming language runtime. It allows others to program for the iPhone/iPad in Flash. These programs could then be installed via the Flash app without passing through the app store, which means that all of Apple's carefully crafted work to ensure that the iPhone is free from VIrus, Trojans, Worms and other Malware is out through the window,

To an extent, Adobe were right to call the iPhone a walled garden, but this is exactly what 99% of iPhone users want. What Adobe didn't mention is that they just wanted to let the thugs in.

Apple would be MAD to allow this

An open letter to Adobe
Posted by: Henry3Dogg 2010-05-05 17:23:27 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Dear Adobe

I would like to write a parasitic development environment that runs inside flash and hosts applications written without your development tools. This is great because I will massively undercut you and make lots of money. I'm not going to put a lot of resource into it, so you can expect that it will probably crash Flash a lot, but thats OK because I will just blame you, and your reputation and the security of your other users, doesn't really matter to me.

Now you're probably wondering why I raise this.

Well it seems that I will have to use your development tools to create this environment to run inside flash. Well that's clearly unfair monopolistic behaviour. I must go and complain to the FTC at once.

Fanboy much?
Posted by: drsmokehsd 2010-05-04 07:05:37 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Your article wasn't very insightful. Fact is, I've had Windows systems running stable on my desktop for nearly a decade. I've got an Android that I'm extremely happy with, I can get the content I want when I want it and don't have to void the warranty on my phone to do it, not to mention the fact that it has multi-touch capability too. And I've got BSD systems that will run circles around your Apple desktops and notebooks.

I'll admit that Apple has done a very good job over the years building stable systems for specific purpose. At one time I would have sworn by the Apple A/V systems when I was working with A/V. Now...not worth it. With the power of modern hardware, the capabilities of the FOSS movement, and systems designed specifically for the purpose of massive graphics processing, Apple doesn't have a leg to stand on anymore. Well...unless you are a "user". In which case, maybe you shouldn't be writing tech articles.

Apple creates magic!
Posted by: iphonedad 2010-05-04 07:03:17 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
The magician gets to choose which bird he pulls out of the hat!

I've read a lot of articles about people complaining about Steve Jobs and his choice to not support flash and this article by Chris Maxcer is HANDS DOWN the best editorial on the subject.

Thank you!

Darren
http://drawingpadapp.com

I don't buy it...
Posted by: tbuckley 2010-05-04 06:20:07 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I agree with your assertions Chris regarding Jobs' motivations, but I don't agree with the Job's logic.

Let's see, in order to intentionally fragment app development into an Apple and a non-Apple camp, Jobs is going to refuse the release of a product of a perfectly innocent third party (who is trying to enable its own business model). That sounds very much like anti-competitive behavior to me. The core of Adobe's business model is developer productivity, and effectively Apple is shutting them out.

I don't understand the paranoia. Jobs would still control what apps are allowed in the app store, so what does he care whether they're developed in Objective C, or Flash? Just because Flash is enabled for app development doesn't mean that it has to be enabled on the browser. That would be a far more reasonable stance to take than this Soup Nazi approach he's taking now. In _effect_, he's locking two products together... he's saying "in order to develop for my products (iPad, iPhone), you MUST use the SDK and development approach _I_ sanction, even if the end product looks and acts identical" The legal question will turn on whether development tools are considered a product or not, and whether legitimate non-Apple alternative tools exist. If it's determined that they are indeed products, and few legitimate alternatives exist besides the Apple approved tooling, then Apple sits precisely where Microsoft sat a few years ago with MediaPlayer -- attempting to use one product to artificially boost the roll out of another, which the Europeans do not allow (case T201/04, Microsoft vs. Commission).

However, I doubt anything will come of the Fed inquiry... still, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the Fed "persuaded" Mr. Jobs to reconsider his rather tyrannical stubbornness in this situation.

Barrier to entry
Posted by: iphonedad 2010-05-04 08:39:40 In reply to: tbuckley
I'm sure Adobe's Flash export would have the ability to create some compelling Apps for experienced designers...but I also think that since it doesn't take much to make a basic flash file, Apple would be flooded with Apps to review/reject that are spammy junk in an already spammy App marketplace.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.