Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   it would be their best move in hardware in many years, but needs work

Re: Analyst: Apple Could Be Weighing AMD Acquisition
Posted by: Brian R. Hook 2010-04-20 12:17:26
See Full Story

Rumors are flying once again that Apple may drop Intel for AMD to supply the maker of personal computers with microprocessors, but hardly anyone is talking. The latest round of speculation follows a report that AMD representatives have been spotted several times exiting meetings with Apple's top brass. The meetings reportedly included AMD briefings that spurred work in Apple labs that may lead to placement of the chips inside some upcoming products.

Can AMD make Apple happy?
Posted by: jescott418 2010-04-27 13:43:29 In reply to: Brian R. Hook
Can AMD make Apple happy? That would be the question. I think Apple made a good choice dropping the Power chip simply because it was not keeping up. Intel's brand was the obvious choice. But we all know how Apple loves its privacy. I am sure they do not like to compete with the PC manufactures for product either. So it could be a good match for AMD to become Apple. After all they also get ATI which I think does better then Nvidia in the high end graphics.
But that's just my own opinion and I am really not a big gamer.

Doesn't make much sense for AMD
Posted by: ET3D 2010-04-21 22:20:16 In reply to: Brian R. Hook
stealth, don't know how you've missed the news, but AMD no longer has any fab. They're all part of GlobalFoundries.

I think that a full buyout isn't really good for either company. Apple won't be able to subsume AMD without practically killing it, since Apple is a closed hardware/software company, and extensive design of the form AMD is doing won't survive well within Apple.

Bad move
Posted by: stealth 2010-04-20 18:47:34 In reply to: Brian R. Hook
As someone who works for a semiconductor company I feel Apple would be crazy to purchase AMD. Why own an expensive Fab that is second tier to Intel, requires billions of $ per year to keep running and must sell chips to many more customers than Apple. Moreover, AMD's fabs run on lower profit margins than Apple currently enjoys with their products this would hurt the PE ratio of Apple's stock. Apple would be best served to use AMD as a leverage against Intel in negotiations, not to purchase the whole dang company.

it would be their best move in hardware in many years, but needs work
Posted by: ronnyromero 2010-04-20 14:39:32 In reply to: Brian R. Hook
i would think this is a good move from Apple....they are growing at a pretty fas pace and they would give enough use to what AMD can offer them given the way they do their equipments and the way they have built them before they started using intel. But there is another player here, and that is NVIDIA; Apple has a strong relation with NVIDIA, strong enough to go against Intel to get their notebooks use NVIDIA even when Intel is closing them from it, and then trying to go around using legal openings. Sure, AMD is a good move given the things Apple is going for...all their major equipments would benefit from it in the long run, but their next probable upgrade for each of them will suffer from this and we would end up having a 2years delay in the next model for each of these until everything gets set. However, if Apple makes a very studied move, set with a very specific fusion project, we would see next generation plattforms in just a year, wich would not severe their common launch and updates. I would say go for it, and make it public just after everything is set to go and on track for a 12month work.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.