Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Opera on iPhone: Prestissimo, but Just a Little Flat

Re: Opera on iPhone: Prestissimo, but Just a Little Flat
Posted by: Paul Hartsock 2010-04-15 13:02:42
See Full Story

Opera Software can be quite the prima donna when it wants to, and apparently it knows how to use that attitude to get the results it wants. This company was a main player in the recent effort to require Microsoft to offer a full menu of Web browsers each time Windows is installed in Europe. Not only must Windows ask the user which browser he or she wants to set as default, but the options must be listed in random order. Enough people picked Opera that the company considered the effort a success.

Opera quality page wiew
Posted by: melgross 2010-04-15 13:39:12 In reply to: Paul Hartsock
I can't see this as being worthy of a four star review. I tried this on my 3G, and quite frankly, it's terrible! While it's nice to have faster browsing, the savings in time is more than offset by having to zoom in on almost every site that has text. Your example of the Times is a great one. I found it impossible! I don't have that problem with Safari. Same problem with at least a dozen other sites I tried.

After one day, off the phone it went, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is going to happen in a lot of cases, unless they can do something to fix the losses in compression.

You are missing the point
Posted by: pretzelz 2010-04-15 22:05:14 In reply to: melgross
You have to zoom in Safari too. And actually, it's much easier to zoom in Opera Mini -- just touch the screen where you want to zoom in. The text will fit perfectly to the screen. Unlike in Safari, where you constantly have to adjust the zoom level.

Don't blame Opera for the ballot screen!
Posted by: pretzelz 2010-04-15 13:04:36 In reply to: Paul Hartsock
"This company was a main player in the recent effort to require Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) to offer a full menu of Web browsers each time Windows is installed in Europe."

No, that's actually wrong. The ballot screen was Microsoft's own idea

ballot screen.
Posted by: melgross 2010-04-15 13:41:45 In reply to: pretzelz
The ballet screen was MS's idea, yes. But the reason WHY it had to come up with a way to give those choices, was spearheaded by Opera, and other small user base browser organizations.

Not small organizations
Posted by: pretzelz 2010-04-15 22:04:02 In reply to: melgross
Small user base browser organizations?

You mean like Google and Mozilla?

Yes, Google and Mozilla (as well as Adobe and several other members of the ECIS) joined the complaint.

Small user base?

So as you can see, people are all whining about Opera for some reason, when the fact is that they were just one of the many companies involved.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.