Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Apple Tosses In a New iPad With $99 Battery Replacement

Re: Apple Tosses In a New iPad With $99 Battery Replacement
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2010-03-15 12:37:36
See Full Story

Apple has announced a new service plan its upcoming iPad tablet devices: The company will replace iPads whose batteries can't hold a full charge for a $99 service fee plus $6.95 for shipping as well as taxes. This is not a matter of a technician removing the old battery and installing a new one. The whole device will be replaced with a brand-new iPad. This offer does not cover damage to the product from accidents, user carelessness, component failure or jailbreaking, which is the act of hacking into the iPad or iPhone to allow it to use non-Apple-approved software.

Defective?????
Posted by: akcoyote 2010-03-15 17:08:15 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Where in the story or news was there mention of the iPad battery being defective?

All mobile product batteries have to be replaced at some point. Hence the huge battery market.

The advantage of the 'non-replaceable' (by the consumer) battery design favored by Apple is the ability to make products thinner and lighter than ones with replaceable batteries. Given Apple's penchant for superb industrial design, it is a logical decision.

The disadvantage to this design is the inability to have several charged batteries on hand to swap out when AC power is unavailable.

Given the number of external batteries / battery powered chargers available for most mobile products this is not an insurmountable handicap.

But again, where did the 'defective' comment come from?

$99 to fix a defective product?
Posted by: Alverant 2010-03-15 12:39:46 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Why is Apple charging its customers $99 plus S+H to replace their defective product? Shouldn't it be for free? When we find a defect in a car, the car dealers eat the cost and fix it without charging the owner. There are also lemon laws. But Apple made a defective product and now wants to charge you to fix it.

I don't care how useful the iStuff is. I will not be buying any if this is how they act.

You CANNOT Be Serious!
Posted by: Fetrow 2010-03-15 23:09:50 In reply to: Alverant
Assuming the iPad is like other Apple laptops, it has a three year warranty. If the battery fails in the first three years, they fix it. I'm not sure if they would just replace it, or repair it, but I would guess they would replace it, as they do with iPods and iPhones.

If you have a Mac laptop (MacBook or MacBook Pro) the battery alone will cost you at least as much or more.

New MacBooks and MacBook Pros have the battery internal, and it isn't an airplane replaceable unit. I'm sure they won't be giving me a new 17 inch MacBook Pro for $99 when the battery goes bad, and of course, it will.

Back to the point, your anger is misplaced. The cost is very reasonable for a new machine to replace a machine over three years old.
Jump to: