Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   No Competition

Re: Knives Out for the iPhone
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2009-05-20 06:19:44
See Full Story

In a move that could wound Apple's hopes of penetrating the Chinese market, China Mobile, the world's largest wireless carrier, is reportedly coming up with its own Android-based challenger to the iPhone. In the U.S., Sprint and Palm plan to debut Palm's supposed iPhone killer, the Pre, on June 6, two days before the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference kicks off in San Francisco. Meanwhile, Microsoft is targeting the enterprise market, which Apple is just beginning to tap, with its Windows Mobile platform.

No Competition
Posted by: jbelkin 2009-05-20 10:24:36 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
WIN6.5 is laughable as is every attempt by MS to craft an OS even Vista or WIN7 in the post internet world. Two points there. MS has only established an OS in markets where they could craft a monopoly - in other words, FAIL in EVERY other market other than the nascent PC market. People do NOT want MS OSes ... the cell phone market is perfect example - people had a choice since 2000 to choose an MS OS on phones, they sneered and pick any OS other than MS. Only MS has not given up by now even though it's been repeated and soundly rejected.

Palm Pre is a nice phone but unlike the iPhone - not a revolutionary phone + great marketing. Then add in the fact that Palm says they can only manufacture 500,000 of them - what appple sells every week, it's at best a ripple ... plus, does palm have an iTunes store that is movies, tv, music AND apps? No. Or at the end of your iPhone term, it's an iPod Touch "for free," while a Pre is just a dead phone?

China - yes, huge market but no real hurry since Apple gets FULL RETAIL price with every gray market phone sold elsewhere ... sure, you can all it an o-phone but it will NOT be an iPhone from APPLE. That would be like saying it's a Herrari 360 sports car ... it's "as good" as a Ferrari - doesn't matter. Anyone buying a Herrari is not going to be able to afford an IpHone and that's also the difference maker. Of course, Apple should be in China officially but NO ONE can touch Apple when it comes to design and UI so no worries.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.