Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Apple Chip Design

Re: Apple Bets Its Chips on In-House Microprocessor Design
Posted by: Renay San Miguel 2009-04-30 12:13:37
See Full Story

The microprocessors that will go into future Apple products -- especially the handheld variety -- will need to be smaller, cheaper and more powerful while using less power. Those chips could be the result of in-house designer brainpower, not third-party suppliers: Steve Jobs' company is in the middle of a hiring spree, according to a Thursday report, recently posting openings for microprocessor designers and putting new high-level hires from Advanced Micro Devices to work on next-generation chips.

Apple Chip Design
Posted by: jcrglobalcaplaw 2009-04-30 21:32:30 In reply to: Renay San Miguel
If Apple were really smart, they would rely on a hybrid variation of "crowdsourcing." Their chip designers would be responsible for developing and publishing design specs and feature specs and then leave it to the developer community for much of the heavy-lifting. True, there are competitive risks, but why not? Apple could own the core IP and license it at a very low royalty rate and rely upon volume.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.