Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   "Not always"?

Re: Mac OS X vs. Windows: Does Soul Matter?
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2009-04-16 05:29:14
See Full Story

Ask a Mac OS X fan or a Windows fan what the difference is between the two operating systems, and the short answer might be something like, "The difference is, the one I use doesn't stink." That response may underscore the emotional pull an operating system has with a particular sort of computer user, but it is not very helpful for getting at the heart of the matter. The long answer involves understanding the soul of each OS. A growing number computer users are finding favor with Mac OS X. What is it that makes up the real difference between OS X and Windows?

A simple matter really, for me at least
Posted by: Grannelle 2009-05-11 18:52:41 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I started out as a Mac user in the mid 90's, became disabled and quit computing altogether, and am now back in school as a Web design student. As such, I've become intimate with both Mac and Windows. I was a power user with the Mac, and have now become proficient enough with Vista that I exclusively use Sidebar gadgets in lieu of desktop icons and the start menu. I don't even have a recycle bin. I think a close correlation to this comparison would be that of VHS vs Beta (for those of you old enough to remember video tape). Beta was the superior format, while VHS was more widely accepted, distributed, and had the software availability. Even later, with the advent of sVHS, BetaMax was again the better choice for the discriminating user. Perhaps Sunny Bonnell stated it best, when she said, "When you buy a Mac, you're buying the lifestyle; when you buy a PC, you're just buying another indistinguishable PC."

Sigh ...
Posted by: Hasdrubal 2009-04-20 07:57:29 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
@ uannoyme

I'm sick and tired of beating this particular dead horse. Apple did *NOT* steal anything from Xerox. Apple techs went to PARC, after PAYING for the privilege, with the explicit understanding that they could take to market any ideas they came away with. Furthermore, Apple at that time already HAD a GUI program by then, which pretty much guided their efforts, the result being (among others) that the PARC GUI and the Apple GUI are cousins at best. They for example used icon for completely different things.

Microsoft has, to my knowledge, not paid Apple much for "borrowing" their OS while being a sub-contractor to Apple (i.e. being PAID by Apple) and got the privilege of looking at the OS before it shipped. MS at that time was nowhere near having their own GUI project. And lastly, all MS could come up with to change the Apple OS was to rename "trash can" "recycle bin" and move it from right to left. Sheesh ...

The Difference in Design Philosophies
Posted by: malckwan 2009-04-16 13:18:55 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Check out this youtube video for a succinct expression of the difference in design philosophies between Apple and Micosoft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtEsSdP6sR8

"Not always"?
Posted by: malckwan 2009-04-16 11:45:27 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
"Microsoft is not always focused on technology. It is not always a good experience for users and is not always easy to learn. It does not always fit the users' needs."

LOL, that's like saying a corpse is "not always" alive.

Check Your Grammar
Posted by: malckwan 2009-04-16 11:26:01 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
"A growing number computer users are finding favor with Mac OS X".

Apart from the missing preposition, this sentence is ass-backwards. It should read "Mac OS X is finding favor with a growing number of computer users", meaning Mac OS X is growing in popularity.

As written, the sentence implies that Mac OS X is pleased with a growing number of computer users. Though I'm sure if Mac OS X were sentient, it would be pleased with the growing number of computer users coming to their senses and switching from Windows PCs to Macs.

Are the editors asleep? Do they not have grammar checkers turned on? Though the grammar checkers would only have detected the missing preposition.

Why this user switched to Mac
Posted by: janmp 2009-04-16 08:08:04 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I certainly don't claim to speak for everyone, but the reason I switched to a Mac is that I was tired of all the problems with PC use. Vista, beautiful as the new screen was, was put out well before it should have been. "Good enough" very definitely was NOT good enough. I became all too acquainted with Vista's 'blue screen'. A further whammy in my case was that the blue screen was unreadable -- blurry and double-printed. It simulated reading with the eyes of a cross-eyed drunkard. I must have seen that screen 50 times in three years and still don't know what it says.

I love a company that strives for perfection. I don't want to have to look under the hood of my computer any more than I want to look under the hood of my car. I don't want to have to 'tweek' the mechanics of my computer or car. And I don't want most of my driving to be heading to the Geek Squad or dealership for another tune-up, repair, recall, patch or replacement. I want to use my computer for writing papers, banking, shopping, paying my taxes, keeping in touch with my friends, and storing, viewing/playing, or transferring pictures and music. I only recently switched from a PC to a Mac and I'm still learning how to drive it, but at least I haven't had to put on my overalls and pull out the toolkit to fix it. Nor have I made any trips to the Apple Store for them to fix it. If this is as dependable as it seems, the extra expense of my initial purchase will be worth every penny. I spent hundreds of dollars to repair my last two PCs, more than offsetting the initial savings.

Enough about Mac vs. PC
Posted by: MPShores 2009-04-16 07:09:23 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I have used Macs and Window and yes DOS PCs and before that minicomputers and mainframes. They are nothing but tools to me. For the past four years, I have been using the Gnome GUI on top of first Suse and then Ubuntu Linux and find it just as satisfactory as either Apple's or Microsoft's offerings.

Wow what crap
Posted by: uannoyme 2009-04-16 06:45:00 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Way to fake being balanced. This debate is as old as the OSes themselves. At first glance the article looks like it's going to be a nice balanced set of facts. Then I read it. Wow, someone is in love with Macs.
"was released in 1985 and was at least inspired (if not copied) from the earliest Mac OS"
And Mac stole it from Xerox.
Windows stole vista ideas from mac, who stole it from unix, etc.

"Instead, the Mac uses permissions like Unix. No large-scale system management is needed. The result: When something installs on an Apple computer, the user knows it. The installation cannot happen silently."
This is in error: it also means admins CANNOT do things on a large scale, a very major reason why mac use is not wide spread. Things have changed, though. Now admins can do stuff silently, so that macs can be used en-mass. Which makes the benefits listed above null and void.

Please, stop the war. Both companies want our money. THE END.

GUIs vs OSs
Posted by: malckwan 2009-04-16 11:43:14 In reply to: uannoyme
While Apple did build on the early GUI work done at Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center), to say that they stole Mac OS from Xerox is a gross overstatement, misleading in several ways.

The engineers at Apple who were privy to the early GUI/mouse interface being developed at Xerox recognized the potential of the new paradigms of computer interaction and invested significant time and resources into maturing them into a viable interface for a new operating system being developed to run on the Macintosh.

The User Interface (UI), graphic or otherwise, is merely part of what makes up an operating system.

Microsoft's more blatant and obvious plagiarism of the GUI of the Mac operating system is less defensible.

Apple did not steal from UNIX. Mac OS X is built on top of BSD, a free derivative of UNIX. Apple created a GUI (based on their existing GUI legacy) so users could take advantage of the power and stability of a more modern operating system architecture while enjoying the continued ease of use that comes from a well designed user interface.

Windows v. Linux? Ubuntu.
Posted by: perspectoff 2009-04-16 06:12:02 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Yeah, I like Mac. In fact, Mac is very similar to Ubuntu/Kubuntu Linux, since they both have Unix roots and similar philosophies in operating system.

But I don't have the money to buy and upgrade Macs. Sorry. It's just so. The economy, stupid, and the fact that computers are out of date in about 3 years.

So I have to update the computer (and the programs) every 3 years. That's way expensive if the computer costs $1500, and I have to buy new programs.

It's worse on a Windows PC, where new computers on average come with the crippled version of the OS, namely Vista Home Premium. Most of my old reliable XP programs don't work with Vista, so those all need upgrading. It's the same with Windows 7.

But Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) is free, with free updates and free programs and office suites (Open Office), video messaging, science and technology programs, and everything on the Internet I want to do.

It turns out, it even has a dock and customizations that can make it look and act either like a Mac or a PC. That's because most interfaces are starting to look and act the same on all three platforms.

But what else I get is the ability to customize things. My smart teenage son can change the OS and turn our house into an automated whiz using the Linux OS. Not everyone has a son like mine, but for me, I find everything I do on the Internet, and an accounting program, to be available on Ubuntu.

Mac v. Windows? Ubuntu.
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.