Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Will Artists Still Love Macs Tomorrow?

Re: Will Artists Still Love Macs Tomorrow?
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2009-03-26 11:27:27
See Full Story

Michael Gibbs, an illustrator based in Northern Virginia, describes working on a Mac Pro in terms that suggest a Zen-like trance: "I can't explain it well, but you are not even really aware you are using a computer program -- the design applications are that intuitive." He can easily tell the difference between applications that are natively designed for the Mac -- anything Adobe -- and those that have been retrofitted for the OS X environment, such as Microsoft Word. The latter, he told MacNewsWorld, "are just plain cumbersome."

Not just for artists!
Posted by: swanzoid 2009-03-29 12:29:37 In reply to: Erika Morphy
The whole notion that Macs are for artists while PCs are for business users has been turned upside down as far as I'm concerned. Our entire office switched from Dells to MacBook Pros back in December. Since switching, we're all in agreement that all those years we spent wrestling with our Windows PCs are "the lost years" insofar as our productivity goes. I was a total anti-Mac bigot until now. I've seen the light. Wish I'd seen it sooner! The difference in price is more than made up for my increase in productivity and lessened Windows frustration factor.

The irony is that we're an IBM business partner focused on IBM midrange and mainframe consulting and software development, very PC-centric stuff on the client side, and it was at an IBM user convention last fall where we were introduced to the concept of using Macs to do our work. It was amazing to see how many IBM employees and consultants were actually walking around the convention floor with Macs, not PCs. Until that show, we didn't think Macs could even be used for our line of work.

Now we're all using Macs and running our Windows apps in VMware Fusion and I swear we get better performance in that mode than we ever did running the same applications on our native PCs. And I'm so happy to be done with all the random disk thrashing that Windows does. And the Outlook freezes and crashes. And the general slowdowns necessitating a reboot to resolve it. In fact, I can't remember the last time I rebooted my Mac. When I'm done working for the day, I just close the MacBook and it goes to sleep immediately. When I want to resume work, I open it back up and I'm back to fully functional in, I kid you not, 3 seconds. Three seconds!! Contrast that to my Dell - it'd take at least 10 times that to get back to full functionality after a wake-up, even longer on some of my colleagues' PCs.

The Mac is a piece of work, worth every penny IMHO. My entire office concurs: We'll never go back to PCs. Never.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.