Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Study: Business Users All Thumbs on iPhone

Re: Study: Business Users All Thumbs on iPhone
Posted by: Kimberly Hill 2007-08-17 12:31:21
See Full Story

In the daily barrage of iPhone carrots and sticks, another complaint has surfaced: The iPhone touchscreen keyboard makes shooting off a quick text message difficult for business users. That's according to a usability study conducted by User Centric, in which a group of regular text-message senders were timed using their old devices and the iPhone. Users accustomed to sending text messages on a more traditional mobile QWERTY keyboard took considerably longer to type a message on the iPhone touchscreen keyboard, according to User Centric.

Re: Study: Business Users All Thumbs on iPhone
Posted by: sccaldwell 2007-08-22 13:33:00 In reply to: Kimberly Hill
I don't see how this "study" could have possibly been more biased or pointless.
The article itself says "However, they had been given only one minute to familiarize themselves with the iPhone touchscreen, said the firm" and yet says that "a group of regular text-message senders were timed using their old devices and the iPhone."
Well, gee!! Imagine that!! You take someone who has been using a Treo or Blackberry for YEARS (potentially), give them a completely new device with a completely new interface, and....WHAT A SHOCK...they're faster with their old device!!
What a journalistic joke. I have an iPhone and my previous phone was a Treo 650. In my first minute using the iPhone, yes, I was WAY slower than on my old Treo. After a week of using the iPhone, I'd say I'm at least as fast, if not faster, using the iPhone.
Why? Two simple reasons. (1) Now I'm used to the iPhone, and (2) predictive and auto-correcting text on the iPhone. The auto-correct is amazingly accurate, and once you learn to trust it, it simply corrects the vast majority (ie. 85-90%) of your typos for you.
Further, I didn't even know how to edit previous text on the iPhone for a couple of days (which therefore slowed me down). I'd simply keep backspacing until I'd erased everything back to the mistake.
Now I've discovered the incredibly useful-and-cool "magnifying glass" cursoring feature, so I simply keep typing, ignoring any mistakes, and once I'm done, I re-read it (as I always do) and correct the few mistakes that the iPhone hasn't already fixed for me.
In short, this "study" was a complete farce, likely commissioned by Palm (makers of the Treo), Blackberry, Nokia, Microsoft, or some other competitor trying to stop the bleeding as their customers start migrating to this new offering that suddenly makes their latest-and-greatest products look clunky, clumsy, and antiquated.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.