Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
NICE inContact February 12 webinar
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: New Feren OS Does Plasma Better

Re: New Feren OS Does Plasma Better
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2020-01-07 23:57:18
See Full Story

Feren OS now is built around Ubuntu Linux 18.04 and the KDE Plasma desktop instead of Linux Mint. The Cinnamon desktop version could retire later this year. The Feren OS community has released a mostly maintenance snapshot update for the Feren OS Cinnamon version. This new Feren OS release meets the goal of mixing the Cinnamon desktop with the more capable KDE Plasma 5 to make a better distro. It comes with a transition tool that literally rolls the updated system components in the snapshot release into the modified KDE desktop.

Posted by: Wormwood 2020-01-08 10:12:34 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
One more indication that Linux Mint is on the decline. Mint is now nothing more than one more version of Ubuntu--Ubuntu Mint.
People are simply tired of Mint coasting on its past; and tired of C. Lefebvre surrounding himself with 'yes-men'; and believing everything HE reads in his 'echo chambers'.

Posted by: PrimeSuspect 2020-01-08 12:07:02 In reply to: Wormwood
I would never use Linux Mint but I think we need to give it credit as a project for what it achieved for Linux in general and in doing so enable the likes of MX and Manjaro to also flourish. Mint is also a long way from being just a re-branded distro with a few custom themes. Itís also difficult to maintain any sort of innovative momentum for a system that is only used by a tiny percentage of the computing population. I just wish devs would stop issuing new releases for the sake of it and concentrate on fixing bugs in the current release first.

My preference is for distros I know will work long term and most of these wonít feature in mainstream reviews and certainly exclude the likes of Ubuntu, SUSE and Feddora which invariably do.

Anyone looking for a similar path might like to try Calculate Linux, ROSA, Endeavour OS, Neptune or Q4.

Posted by: PrimeSuspect 2020-01-08 02:10:31 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Yet another pointless mix of code that achieves nothing with neither base either looking as good or performing as well as many other Cinnamon or KDE specific alternatives. If folks must have multiple desktops then either Q4OS or especially Endeavour OS are far better options with the former being LTS and the latter a rolling release. The other point being both these distros actually work without freezing up or falling over altogether. This version of Feren OS is just a hotchpotch with such a confusing array of settings even seasoned Linux users will soon tire sorting them out.
Jump to:
How do you feel about government regulation of the U.S. tech industry?
Big tech companies are abusing their monopoly power and must be reined in.
Stronger regulations to protect consumer data definitely are needed.
Regulations stifle innovation and should be kept to the barest minimum.
Over-regulation could give China and other nations an unfair advantage.
Outdated antitrust laws should be updated prior to serious regulatory efforts.
Tech companies should regulate themselves to avoid government intervention.