Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: POP!_OS Makes Classic GNOME Simpler to Use

Re: POP!_OS Makes Classic GNOME Simpler to Use
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2019-05-03 14:03:40
See Full Story

Are you Looking for a hassle-free Linux OS that is very user-friendly and extremely stable? Pop!_OS from System76 is a prime candidate to fit that order. Pop!_OS is an Ubuntu-based Linux distro featuring a custom GNOME desktop. Custom is *the* essential part of that description. The developers have done an impressive job of tailoring the classic GNOME environment into a unique desktop flavor. That Ubuntu connection is important. The combination of an Ubuntu base and customization of the very stable GNOME desktop makes POP!_OS a winning choice.

Posted by: merkuti01 2019-05-10 14:59:49 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I enjoy your reviews, and this one is spot-on. I've been using Pop_OS! for the last couple of weeks. Previously, I was using Manjaro, but I won't be going back. Pop_OS! is fast and looks great. I swear, even though I was running the latest Nvidia drivers in Manjaro, my graphics performance is noticeably better in Pop_OS!. Steam games run faster with better frame rates. One quibble: I didn't like how I had to go to Activities to bring up Dash, but I installed Dash-to-Dock, so that improved my one complaint. Great Linux distribution, to be sure, and the one I'll be using from now on.

Posted by: jackmgerm 2019-06-10 16:03:58 In reply to: merkuti01
I'm glad you found a workaround. It works well for me too. Thanks.

Jack M. Germain
ECT News Network
Jump to:
Should government regulators force the breakup of big tech companies?
Yes -- it's the only way to restore competition.
No -- breaking them up would make them less useful to consumers.
Yes -- it would encourage entrepreneurship and innovation.
No -- but some regulation is needed to restrict their power.
Yes -- but only the firms that function as utilities.
No -- the government should keep its hands off and let the market decide.