Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: New MakuluLinux Deserves a Spot in the Majors

Re: New MakuluLinux Deserves a Spot in the Majors
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2018-09-27 09:09:23
See Full Story

MakuluLinux developer Jacque Montague Raymer on Thursday announced the first major release of this year. It is a whole lot more than a mere upgrade of distro packages. MakuluLinux Series 15 offers much more than new artwork and freshly repainted themes and desktop styles. If you crave a Linux OS that is fresh and independent, MakuluLinux is a must-try Linux solution. When it arrived on the Linux scene in 2015, its different approach to implementing Linux OS features disrupted the status quo.

Posted by: DonDonDon333 2019-02-10 12:20:29 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I've installed "Core" on my hard drive as the only OS on it. I love it. However, I can't seem to get that ring menu to work. Can't find it anywhere in the OS or on the software app. However, it has "unexpectedly" popped up when I'm not expecting it to. When I don't need it. How can I access it at will? Or just have it on my desktop all the time?

Posted by: PrimeSuspect 2018-10-03 10:45:02 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I have a lot of sympathy for Linux developers because a good number of them suffer from terminal non-recognition through no fault of their own.

In order for Linux usage to expand it has to take more ground from Windows which is no mean task considering how easy it is to manipulate sheeple with clever marketing. iPhone users are the best example but that’s another story.

Considering very few people ever move past the first set of search results, it’s little wonder prospective Windows migrants soon become disillusioned after encountering the likes of CentOS, Arch and SUSE in the list of ‘top recommendations’. It’s no good established Linux users bleating about the more user-friendly Arch based distros because by this point the disillusioned migrants will already have given up and moved back to Windows without searching for anything else and thus discovering something (a lot) better.

Discontinued distros such as ChaletOS, Centrych and Dreamlinux are just a few examples of what has been lost without ever gaining the recognition they deserved. Makulu is unfortunately destined for the same fate as users will likely encounter Feren or Robolinux first and end up severely disappointed.

I test distros as part of my job and I’m fed up with a continual stream of at best beta status stuff being fed to consumers as an ‘upgrade’ or the best new thing. The Linux world does not need all this garbage or another slew of new desktop variants.

Posted by: borisaman 2018-10-03 05:54:05 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I will check that out, thanks!
Jump to:
What is the state of the Linux desktop?
It's edging its way into the mainstream.
It's wildly popular -- but only with open source fans.
It's in trouble due to fragmentation.
It never had a shot in a Windows-dominated PC world.
It's too cumbersome for most computer users to bother.
I'm not familiar with the Linux desktop.