Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: An Android Army vs. a Solo iPhone, and No Linux for PS3

Re: An Android Army vs. a Solo iPhone, and No Linux for PS3
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2009-09-10 08:48:42
See Full Story

It may be an increasingly FOSS-friendly world out there, but that doesn't mean Linux doesn't still face challenges and opposition. Case in point: Sony's recent decision to discontinue the option to install GNU/Linux on its new PlayStation3. "I was more than a little disappointed, since this is a big hit to low-cost supercomputing, wrote the Linux Foundation's Brian Proffitt on his blog last week. Indeed, researchers have apparently clustered multiple PS3 machines to achieve a relatively inexpensive approximation of supercomputer processing power.

I see the reason...
Posted by: milleman 2009-09-10 08:51:35 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
It's because Sony gains none or even loses money on every PlayStation, just because they want people to buy the games. So every sale to a non-gaming person, is a money loss. So, it's not against Open Source. It's just about money.
Jump to:
How will the pandemic influence your holiday shopping habits this year?
I will shop online exclusively, for my own safety and to help limit the spread of the coronavirus.
I will do some shopping online, and some in-person because I want to support merchants in my area.
I will shop online definitely, and I will consider local retailers -- but only if they provide curbside service.
I will only shop in-person because the risks associated with e-commerce outweigh my chance of catching COVID-19.
I will not do any holiday shopping this year due to circumstances related to the pandemic.