Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   eBay introduces absolute anonymity for (shill) bidders

Re: Fraud Prevention Steps Taken at eBay
Posted by: Gene J. Koprowski 2005-07-22 06:07:01
See Full Story

Online auctioneer eBay this week strengthened rules to prevent fraud on its site, as cases continue to emerge of disreputable sellers misrepresenting the products they market there. One allegedly fraudulent eBay merchant was sued this week by the Missouri Attorney General, Jay Nixon, after an individual, Michael D. Pickens, allegedly sold burned clothing purported to be new merchandise from Banana Republic and other leading retailers.

Shill Bidding on eBay: A Case Study
Posted by: PhilipCohen 2009-06-02 04:34:21 In reply to: Gene J. Koprowski
Shill Bidding on eBay: A Case Study

For anyone that is interested, a detailed case study of a blatant shill bidder on eBay, and a comment on eBay’s attitude thereto, at http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24033

eBay introduces absolute anonymity for (shill) bidders
Posted by: PhilipCohen 2008-07-20 04:23:05 In reply to: Gene J. Koprowski
In Australia, the UK, Ireland and the Philippines, eBay has obscured auction bidding to the point that genuine bidders have got absolutely no chance of detecting and thereby protecting themselves from “shill” bidding (a criminal offence in most civilized countries) by unethical vendors.

Notwithstanding eBay’s statements to the contrary, this application of absolute anonymity (ie, Bidder 1, Bidder 2, etc) by eBay on these sites serves absolutely no purpose other than to deceive consumers by making even any otherwise blatantly obvious shill bidding undetectable; and the same criticism has always been applicable to eBay’s other shill bidders’ facility, “User ID kept private”.

My concern then is not so much with the effectively bidder-specific anonymity (“a***b (n)”) now in use in the US and elsewhere (and which still allows genuine bidders some opportunity to watch for suspicious patterns of bidding on a seller's other auctions) but with the absolute anonymity (“Bidder N”) in use in Australia, the UK, Ireland and the Philippines.

Again, notwithstanding eBay’s various pronouncements about shill bidding being banned on eBay, eBay is now, on these sites, effectively (and now knowingly) “aiding and abetting” such shill bidders to defraud consumers. [more]

For those with a longer attention span, a lengthy critical analysis of this matter appears at:
http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=6498345#6498345
I apologise in advance for the length of this linked “rant”. Needless to say eBay would not tolerate it on their discussion forums and I have spent time on eBay’s “naughty chair” for posting links to it.

If you are an unethical shill-bidding seller or a buyer who is not concerned that on the above-mentioned national sites eBay is effectively “aiding and abetting” such shill-bidding sellers to cheat you, read no further.

Re: Fraud Prevention Steps Taken at eBay
Posted by: gbullard 2005-07-22 06:59:20 In reply to: Gene J. Koprowski
Fraud on eBay what you say!! Why that great icon of honesty and outstanding member of the community. Balderdash I say why I haven't been ripped of by them since I told the to take a flying leap into the dark hole they came from. Really I spent around $30,000.00 on eBay and could gotten a better deal on computer equipment if I paid double at retail stores in my home town. Pay-Pal don't give a wit about the buying public either only the sellers get their feeling of trust. P.S. I still get invoices from them stating that they owe me money I guess they can't figure out how to send a check to the address they send me the invoice to. Or most likely they don't have any system to give back money like the fiend of the court.
Jump to:
Which of these technology gifts would you most like to receive?
Portable Power Charger
Remote Video Monitoring System
Smart Speaker
Smart Thermostat
Smart Watch
Streaming TV Player
Video Doorbell
VR Gaming Headset
WiFi Signal Booster
Wireless Earbuds / Headphones