Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Reports: Linux Cheaper Than Windows? Think Again

Re: Reports: Linux Cheaper Than Windows? Think Again
Posted by: Keith Regan 2003-09-09 08:41:50
See Full Story

Two new studies have been released that provide fresh fuel for the Windows-vs.-Linux debate that has burned in the high-tech sphere for years. One, sponsored by Microsoft, argues that Windows is actually less expensive to own and operate than Linux; the other states that deploying Linux on the desktop is not likely to produce ROI in many cases. "The desktop is a much more cluttered, busy environment, and the bulk of applications running there are already written for Windows," Gartner vice president David Smith told the E-Commerce Times.

Posted by: markp1950 2003-09-09 15:16:01 In reply to: Keith Regan
They SITLL keep on saying that M$ is cheaper than Linux, yet I don't see M$ going in to Google and lowering their budget. I don't see M$ going in to Amazon and offering to lower their IT spending.
And most of all I don't see M$ replacing their BSD Hotmail servers. It all shows what these "research" firms are all about. Personally Linux HAS lowered my software spending to $0.10 on the dollar and I do the SAME stuff!
MarkP

Posted by: dsnider 2003-09-09 08:49:34 In reply to: Keith Regan
This report is comparing apples to oranges.
Most custom Windows sites use ASP, and most custom Linux sites use PHP (or Perl).
I've been developing custom-coded websites for close to ten years, and Linux-based tools have always been far easier, faster (and cheaper) to use.
Jump to:
When considering an online-only dealer to purchase an automobile, which is most important to you?
30-day low price guarantee
Comprehensive and verifiable vehicle inspection policy
Extended warranty protection plan provided by the dealer
Full money back return policy with no questions asked for at least a week after delivery
The dealer has many outstanding reviews, and few or no complaints.
I would not consider buying a vehicle from an online-only dealer.