Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: The Death of Dial-Up

Re: The Death of Dial-Up
Posted by: Elizabeth Millard 2003-08-29 09:09:39
See Full Story

Although the United States is still largely a dial-up country, it seems inevitable that dial-up will give way to faster DSL and cable technologies as time passes. Implications of this shift are significant for independent ISPs, which built their business around providing dial-up service. Because they do not have the same clout as nationwide ISPs,
they are unlikely to be able to forge deals with phone and cable giants to provide broadband access at competitive prices. Are we witnessing the slow death of dial-up?

Posted by: pcunniff 2003-09-03 13:57:41 In reply to: Elizabeth Millard
This article is very interesting, but here in the UK the picture is different. People who have migrated to broadband are so vociferous about the speed benefit (most say they could not possibly return to the slow service of dial-up) that their friends, colleagues and family are going for broadband themselves in a big way, where it's geographically available.

Posted by: tazman6951 2003-08-29 09:17:08 In reply to: Elizabeth Millard
I get enough broadband access at work that I don't need to spend $45/mo. for it at home. I use a national dialup ISP called www.phreego.com and you can't beat the price at $9.95/mo. plus it comes with a lot of premium services like spam and virus protection and an accelerator that makes browsing the net seem like broadband.

Posted by: jnvc57 2003-09-03 21:41:12 In reply to: tazman6951
I too have hi speed at work but we can't use it for anything but work related. We are monitored, gov't office. At home I have Earthlink dial up, but No broadband of any kind (except satellite $$$) is offered in my area, and I am in a rather densely populated area! Very frustrating. A software help for now would be a great help. Northern California, jc57_12@yahoo.com
Jump to:
When considering an online-only dealer to purchase an automobile, which is most important to you?
30-day low price guarantee
Comprehensive and verifiable vehicle inspection policy
Extended warranty protection plan provided by the dealer
Full money back return policy with no questions asked for at least a week after delivery
The dealer has many outstanding reviews, and few or no complaints.
I would not consider buying a vehicle from an online-only dealer.