Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Amazon Delivers on Profit Promise, Breaks $1B Barrier

Re: Amazon Delivers on Profit Promise, Breaks $1B Barrier
Posted by: Keith Regan 2002-01-22 11:18:50
See Full Story

Bellwether e-tailer Amazon.com delivered its first-ever profit when it reported
fourth-quarter earnings, as international growth propelled it past the US$1 billion sales
mark for the first time. "The big question now is how much they can re-accelerate their
top line and how big they can become," Morningstar.com stock analyst David Kathman told
the E-Commerce Times.

Posted by: davidport 2002-01-24 08:10:52 In reply to: Keith Regan
Even though they've earned a small operating profit, since Return on Investment = Profit Margin x Asset Turnover; and since "sales" is integral to both factors [(Net income Sales) x (Sales their cost of assets)], I'd like to suggest that Amazon can't really be profitable until their sales become significant enough to cover the enormous cost of their assets.

So how might that happen? By overcoming the missing function of stores. In other words, because conventional stores "store", buyers and sellers can access that storage to efficiently exchange goods. However, since no comparable means of storage exists outside of consumers' locked homes, most folks won't risk ordering in the first place.

Posted by: MoeMantha 2002-01-22 11:32:28 In reply to: Keith Regan
I just can't help it, I get giddy over Amazon.

Posted by: kathleen.mccahill 2002-01-22 13:47:17 In reply to: MoeMantha
I get giddy, too, because amazon is a great online bookstore. i worry about them getting too large and hope to hell that arthur andersen is not their accounting firm.
Jump to:
When an operating system upgrade is released for your personal computer, how soon do you install it?
ASAP -- I like to have the latest software and security features as soon as they become available.
After a Couple of Weeks -- I wait a little while in case there are problems reported by first users of the new OS.
After One Month or Longer -- I'm skeptical of new software versions and want to be confident that bugs have been fixed.
Maybe Never -- If my computer is working, my view is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."