Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Amazon Power User Excommunicated

Re: Amazon Power User Excommunicated
Posted by: Quinten Plummer 2016-03-23 10:26:13
See Full Story

Amazon has carved another notch in its belt, adding one more customer to what it has called a "tiny fraction of cases" of people guilty of making too many returns. The company banned Greg Nelson, a computer programmer, from shopping at the site because he returned 37 of 343 items purchased, according to a report last week. The returned products were damaged, faulty or not as described, Nelson asserted, but Amazon apparently has demanded a more detailed justification for the returns before it will consider lifting the ban.

Re: Amazon Power User Excommunicated
Posted by: jescott418 2016-03-24 05:14:35 In reply to: Quinten Plummer
I think that every company in retail loses money on returns. After all its not their fault a product they sell does not live up to some people's expectations. I know some people who buy cheap but have very particular expectations. They buy something on a whim but then become disenchanted with it. Even though the basis of the product works as sold. No defects, no damage. Just not what the customer expected. What people like this does, is leave the rest of us facing shorter warranties, reduced return time. Or even more questions about returns. Maybe the problem is, Amazon really does make it too easy to return something. Another blog had a comment that Best Buy does a similar targeting of habitual returns.
Personally I think what Amazon should do is two things. One is monitor frequency of a product return and remove that product from sale if it is deemed a poor quality. Two, allow a shorter refund period and give Amazon credit for longer period. 30 days seems rather long to decide if you like a product or not. I think 14 days is reasonable, and give credit or exchange for anything beyond 14.
I think sometimes people get buyers remorse for whatever reason. But to me that is not enough of a reason for a store to refund. In the end they rest of us pay a price for these actions. Such as restocking fee's, paying freight for return and raising fee's like Amazon Prime.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.