Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Samsung Jams Up Windows Security Updates

Re: Samsung Jams Up Windows Security Updates
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2015-06-26 05:55:49
See Full Story

Samsung has been disabling Windows updates by means of an executable file, Disable_Winduwsupdate.exe, that is part of its SW Update software. The issue came to light on Tuesday, when Microsoft MVP Patrick Barker published a blog post about his discovery when helping a user who was having problems. It seemed that Windows Update kept getting disabled randomly, but after using auditpol.exe and registry security auditing, Barker figured out that Disable_Windowsupdate.exe was the culprit.

Posted by: Rob999 2015-07-24 10:59:31 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
OK, so let me get this straight. Within the past few months, Microsoft itself put out a patch that disabled it's Windows update, but you don't see anyone threatening not to buy their crap.

Then, after someone else does this, it's suddenly all hands on deck to jump ship (see what I did there?). This is not to mention the fact that another company could even do this (nice security in your OS, eh?).

Then, we're all about how this puts users at risk. When in the history of Windows OSs, have we ever not been at risk?

Posted by: darkoverlordofdata 2015-06-26 09:29:32 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Brilliant. Just say no to windows update. This has always been my preference, and Microsoft has never respected it. I can't tell you how many hours of productive work I have lost due to the side effects from windows update.
My next windows machine will be a Samsung.
Jump to:
How important is social media to the success of your business?
Highly -- Social media is essential to our business model.
Somewhat -- We do see benefit from social media, but without it our operations would continue.
Minimally -- We're on social media because that's expected, though it's influence on our success is negligible.
Not at All -- Social media is not useful to our business.