Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Commerce Solution Guide
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: FBI to Dig Into IRS Data Breach Debacle

Re: FBI to Dig Into IRS Data Breach Debacle
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2015-05-29 12:38:58
See Full Story

The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking into a hack of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service that led to personal data being stolen from at least 100,000 taxpayers' accounts of the 200,000 that were hit. The hackers got the data by accessing the Get Transcript application, which lets taxpayers download data they filed with the service, the IRS announced Tuesday. Twenty-three million taxpayers used the online Get Transcript application in the latest filing season.

Posted by: patentlawyer 2015-06-02 18:38:05 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Can't say that I'm surprised!

Posted by: UlfMattsson 2015-05-29 12:53:30 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
I’m not sure that “mainframe policies and procedures to monitor access,” will help. I think we can see a well known pattern here since the criminals used data collected elsewhere to assume the identities of taxpayers.

I’m concerned when thieves start the chain by initially stealing sensitive data from potentially less protected systems.

I think that we should demand that all organizations that handle “Social Security details” start to use modern technologies to secure sensitive data.

I found great advice in a Gartner report, covering enterprise and cloud, analyzed solutions for Data Protection and Data Access Governance and the title of the report is "Market Guide for Data–Centric Audit and Protection.”

The report concluded that "Organizations that have not developed data-centric security policies to coordinate management processes and security controls across data silos need to act."

Ulf Mattsson, CTO Protegrity
Jump to:
Where do you most often get your news online?
High-profile blogs
Local newspaper websites
Major newspaper and magazine websites
News aggregator websites
Online-only news and magazine websites
Social networks
TV network/program websites