Instantly delete email threats for Office 365 » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Google Glass Should Stay Gone

Re: Google Glass Should Stay Gone
Posted by: Jeff Kagan 2015-03-26 05:13:36
See Full Story

Here we go again. Most everyone who thought Google Glass crossed the privacy line was happy when it appeared the new technology was being shelved. Not so fast. Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt says Google is not giving up on Glass. Like everyone else, I love new technology. However sometimes companies and their tech staff cross over the line and don't see it the way the rest of the world sees it. They don't realize what they have done until public outcry clobbers them over the head, like with Google Glass.

Posted by: willieaames 2015-09-08 23:40:06 In reply to: Jeff Kagan
This is how I envision a world with Google Glass, where you're wearing these glasses, heck maybe 20 years from now it is a contact lense. You're from America, you speak and read only English and you travel to Spain. Google Glass, takes in all of your surroundings does quick ICR/OCR on the signs, and interprets them for you. You look at a menu and everything is interpreted for you, plus you look up the recipe to make sure it isn't typically prepared with peanuts, which you're allergic to. You meet someone else on the street, who also has google glass, you have a conversation with them, each in your native language but google glass interprets their words instantly for you. You get in the car and drive to the next tourist trap, all while being guided by google glass.
You're back home and google glass attaches to your car via blue tooth and you get instant traffic updates on your way to work, and an alternate route.
Later, you're reading your notes for a test or a presentation tomorrow and you see something you can't remember the background to, but you KNOW was in your notes from earlier, luckily an app has been ICR'ing your hand written notes and now you can search through your previously read notes.

Posted by: ssarull 2015-03-30 22:16:39 In reply to: Jeff Kagan
You may be correct in terms of the B2C market for Google Glass. But I think the B2B opportunities are very interesting... from a plant supervisor walking around a factory collecting and viewing information, to airport TSA agents handling security.

I think in situations where bi-directional real-time information is required, and privacy is not assumed, the technology fits the need very well.
Jump to:
How important is social media to the success of your business?
Highly -- Social media is essential to our business model.
Somewhat -- We do see benefit from social media, but without it our operations would continue.
Minimally -- We're on social media because that's expected, though it's influence on our success is negligible.
Not at All -- Social media is not useful to our business.