Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Microsoft May Put an Attractive Price Tag on Win 9: Free

Re: Microsoft May Put an Attractive Price Tag on Win 9: Free
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2014-08-04 18:32:40
See Full Story

The "free Windows 9" rumor once again is making the rounds. The buzz over Microsoft's supposed plan to offer users of Windows XP, Win 7, Win Vista and Win 8 a free upgrade to Windows 9, which began in June, has been amplified -- again, by unnamed sources. The second Windows 8.1 update will be delivered Aug. 12, which is Patch Tuesday, but it's expected to be a low-key offering. If Microsoft does indeed offer a free upgrade to Windows 9, it will reflect the company's determination to leverage the cloud, said Frost & Sullivan's Mukul Krishna.

Re: Microsoft May Put an Attractive Price Tag on Win 9: Free
Posted by: Anonymous31415965358979323 2014-08-05 00:22:51 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
"The Cloud" yet another reason not to use Microsoft's latest attempt at foisting an insecure, unworkable product on the public. Who in their right mind would ever want to use an OS where all your programs and data are inaccessible if your internet connectivity is compromised?

Want to write a memo while flying, sorry can't get to your data or word processor without paying for inflight internet access (if available). Want to watch a movie, sorry... can't get to the file because its in "The Cloud" and the connection is to slow. Pity its not on your local drive.

Heaven help you if your cloud provider is raided (like Megaupload) and you lose access to critical company files for years.

Are your connections to "The Cloud" secure? What if some hacker is reading that memo you wrote on product issues from the coffee shop this morning; how would that information becoming public affect your company? What if your proprietary information is compromised in transit and suddenly the Peoples Republic of Somewhere has their local slave labor camp produce the same product for a tenth of your cost of development?

Cloud computing using public networks and public companies seems like a cheap solution, but the hidden costs and potential issues are significant. I'll keep my nice Windows XP thanks.
Jump to:
How will the pandemic influence your holiday shopping habits this year?
I will shop online exclusively, for my own safety and to help limit the spread of the coronavirus.
I will do some shopping online, and some in-person because I want to support merchants in my area.
I will shop online definitely, and I will consider local retailers -- but only if they provide curbside service.
I will only shop in-person because the risks associated with e-commerce outweigh my chance of catching COVID-19.
I will not do any holiday shopping this year due to circumstances related to the pandemic.