Instantly delete email threats for Office 365 » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Horvath Hurls Harassment Charges in Fiery GitHub Exit

Re: Horvath Hurls Harassment Charges in Fiery GitHub Exit
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2014-03-18 16:29:46
See Full Story

In a move that has added fuel to the debate over the treatment of women in tech, Julie Ann Horvath, a developer at GitHub, has stormed out of her job, accusing the company of ignoring harassment in the workplace. One of the company's three cofounders and his wife had persistently intimidated her, and an engineer had repeatedly ripped out her code after she turned down his advances, Horvath claimed. "I gave my story and my whole truth to a reporter I trust to be objective and fair," tweeted Horvath.

Posted by: nfranklin 2014-03-21 22:03:13 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
40 years after EEOC has been put in place and with emphasis by the JD and SEC requiring effective ethic & compliance that these situation are still happening.

My company (Superior Compliance Solutions LLC) continue to look for startups and small business to work with that have potential for greatness but can be damaged with this type of news.

Posted by: tracyanne. 2014-03-18 16:39:04 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
quote:: How could the lovelorn engineer who repeatedly ripped out Horvath's code after she turned him down do so without raising a red flag? ::quote

It happened to me back in the 80s when I was programming on WANG systems and the Computer Operations Manager who didn't like Gays and Lesbians decided it would be a good way to get rid of me. It took a lot of work on my part to establish that I was in fact committing the code.

As to whether it raised any red flags I don't know, but it did stop, after I was able to demonstrate to my manager that the work was being done, and the code committed, and then mysteriously disappearing.

So it is indeed possible.
Jump to:
How important is social media to the success of your business?
Highly -- Social media is essential to our business model.
Somewhat -- We do see benefit from social media, but without it our operations would continue.
Minimally -- We're on social media because that's expected, though it's influence on our success is negligible.
Not at All -- Social media is not useful to our business.