Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: FTC Turns Deaf Ear to Google's 'Ignorance' Defense in Safari Snafu

See Full Story

Google is about to be smacked with the highest fine ever levied by the Federal Trade Commission -- $22.5 million -- according to reports. The search engine is expected to agree to the stiff penalty to put to rest the agency's concerns over its apparent privacy violations in connection with Apple's Safari Web browser. Stanford researcher Jonathan Mayer found that Google had circumvented privacy settings on iPhones and iPads and was tracking users of those devices -- contrary to the terms of its own privacy policy.

Re: FTC Turns Deaf Ear to Google's 'Ignorance' Defense in Safari Snafu
Posted by: Rerednaw 2012-07-11 09:43:06 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Surprised at the ruling, still $22.5 million being a large fine is relative. :)

I believe it comes to roughly 5 hours* worth of revenue for Google. (*source Marketplace)

Compare that to the value of the data they mined (stole) for how long?

I don't see anything about an appeal either...so it is under appeal?

Posted by: ErikaMorphy 2012-07-11 12:33:31 In reply to: Rerednaw
Actually it is not even official yet. I doubt if Google would appeal it since they are reportedly negotiating with the FTC and presumably will be fine with the outcome.

Posted by: jescott418 2012-07-11 09:29:03 In reply to: Erika Morphy
While I am all for this FTC fine against Google. I think the FTC turns a blind eye to other privacy issues. This seems more about the FTC knowing that Google can afford it so let's put Google in its place. After all Facebook and its privacy snafu's are just as bad. Tracking is a way of life and if people don't like it I would advise staying off the internet. With marketing moving towards the internet this Google snafu is just one of many.

Posted by: ErikaMorphy 2012-07-11 12:36:46 In reply to: jescott418
I am not so sure it is the FTC turning a blind eye to privacy violations as it is picking and choosing its battles given a limited budget and a partisan Congress second guessing agencies like the FTC.

And while I agree that most people should be aware privacy is a scarce commodity on the internet let's not completely give up the battle! It's not fair to say "stay off the internet" putting the burden entirely on consumers. Companies should play right by the rules too.
Jump to:
Which of these technology gifts would you most like to receive?
Portable Power Charger
Remote Video Monitoring System
Smart Speaker
Smart Thermostat
Smart Watch
Streaming TV Player
Video Doorbell
VR Gaming Headset
WiFi Signal Booster
Wireless Earbuds / Headphones