Instantly delete email threats with 365 Threat Monitor » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: What It Will Take to Create a Social Supply Chain

Re: What It Will Take to Create a Social Supply Chain
Posted by: Sidney Hill 2011-05-29 00:58:13
See Full Story

I have a love-hate relationship with social media. I love platforms like Twitter and LinkedIn that let me keep up with people I truly value as friends and colleagues, even as we move on to new stages in our lives. I hate social media's potential for baring intimate details of your life with people you never really cared for, or never even met. That's why I remain one of the few people on the planet without a Facebook profile. My mixed feelings about social media influenced my initial thoughts about the products software vendors are marketing as social business applications.

What It Will Take to Create a Social Supply Chain
Posted by: knowledgEnabler 2011-06-30 00:03:13 In reply to: Sidney Hill
Hi Sidney,
Great write-up of what is today so current and talked about on many forums, including our LI-group Collaborative Knowledge CLOUD & Business Networking. I have referenced your article referenced on a recent articles published on our Group by Tom Brouillette (Challenges of improvements in legacy applications - http://lnkd.in/pb59Mm )
Adapting your current systems to integrate / interact is not the major issue, nor a costly undertaking, I believe, as most ERP systems providers will ensure such an integration, otherwise risking to be counted out. Many of them already make their latest versions CLOUD ready.

What is more essential is adapting the business processes, the data / knowledge and the change in mentality to share by the people, teams, company, entire enterprise or supply chain - here is where Change Management is important as part of the roadmap to CLOUD integration.

Adapting to linking “Social Media and Enterprise Systems” should therefore happen in incremental stages to enable a stable environment... That starts with the internal BPM and mentality change, then adapting systems where necessary, and then next comes the same process through the supply chain, starting with key players, then rolling it out across the extended enterprise of you product-lines.

Indeed Supply Chain Professionals have to adapt to a new thinking to realize collaborative SCM in the extended enterprise.

Have an ACCELERATing day.
Joris Claeys
ACCELERATE-gscs
CAPix-Asia
PORT[expertise]

The Social Supply Chain is here...
Posted by: BabbleWareInc 2011-05-30 13:42:34 In reply to: Sidney Hill
Sidney,

Excellent article. Social Networking (SN) has taught us the value of real time collaboration and communication. The Supply Chain can benefit but not by using SN to eavesdrop on customer conversations. That isn't the Supply Chain as I see it.

The Supply Chain includes those employees, vendors and customers that make, store, sell, fulfill, ship, deliver, install and service the products. The Social Supply Chain makes the transactions of these users more efficient, accurate and visible.

Business uses large scale, complex, rigid applications such as ERP; not Twitter and Facebook. The transactions of those systems need to change the data, process and technology they require.

BabbleWare's next generation enterprise software allows the needs of business to be achieved without changing a single line of code in the legacy systems. We enhance the processes to fit the operational needs, add data to improve performance and tracking while introducing any new technology in a matter of hours. As such, Yammer and Chatter, two secure SN's, can be updated in real time with results.

Imagine a Major Account Team all subscribing to transactions that impact their customer. They could be notified immediately of variances they consider meaningful and interactively take action to mitigate the effects. Using browsers, email and even spreadsheets they can communicate with and direct BabbleApps custom built for their needs.

These BabbleApps mold into the legacy environment seamlessly and rapidly, requiring no IT involvement. Collaboration with disparate legacy systems is no longer a barrier. In fact, all of the barriers to innovation are obliterated with our enterprise enhancement software.

So culturally, it may take some time to wake up the sleeping giant that is Operations. I don't believe they need to be made aware of the opportunity that SN's offer. Instead, they just need to know that their own legacy applications are no longer the boat anchor to meaningful improvements they have historically been.
Jump to:
How important is social media to the success of your business?
Highly -- Social media is essential to our business model.
Somewhat -- We do see benefit from social media, but without it our operations would continue.
Minimally -- We're on social media because that's expected, though it's influence on our success is negligible.
Not at All -- Social media is not useful to our business.