ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   PaaS

Re: The Great IT Integrators
Posted by: Dana Gardner 2011-05-16 10:43:45
See Full Story

Enterprise integration requirements are rapidly shifting to accommodate such trends as cloud computing, mobile devices' explosion, and increased demand for extended enterprise business processes. Application-to-application integration inside an enterprise's four walls is well understood, but very quickly the demands placed on integration are spanning multiple enterprises, multiple types of applications, and varieties of service providers. As a result, Software as a Service and cloud computing are joining with legacy systems to form new and varied hybrid models.

PaaS
Posted by: jmo 2011-05-16 11:36:25 In reply to: Dana Gardner
Great article. Especially your referral to graphical toolsets (build functionality with drag-and-drop) and the trend to use less or no code at all. I'm a big advocate of this trend which empowers me as a 'non-technical person' to be closely involved in application development.

An interesting dimension to SaaS and cloud computing is the concept of PaaS (platform-as-a-Service) which would perfectly fit this story. Being an employee of a software firm (under full disclosure - Mendix) that delivers a visual modeling platform I believe that SaaS is best complemented with a PaaS cloud layer. Not sure if your toolkit fits this category but our CTO wrote a very interesting article about it; for your interest please refer
to: http://www.theenterprisearchitect.eu/archive/2010/04/27/multi-tenancy-and-model-driven-engineering-necessary-assets-of-a-platform-as-a-service
Jump to:
Which of these technology gifts would you most like to receive?
Portable Power Charger
Remote Video Monitoring System
Smart Speaker
Smart Thermostat
Smart Watch
Streaming TV Player
Video Doorbell
VR Gaming Headset
WiFi Signal Booster
Wireless Earbuds / Headphones