Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Sony's GeoHot Settlement Won't Stop Anonymous

Re: Sony's GeoHot Settlement Won't Stop Anonymous
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2011-04-12 05:14:02
See Full Story

Sony Entertainment has reached a settlement with George Hotz, aka "GeoHot," the hacker who jailbroke Sony's PlayStation 3 gaming console. The settlement was reached on March 31, according to a Sony blog post. The terms were not fully disclosed, but Hotz has apparently agreed to a permanent injunction. This is hardly the end of the matter, though -- at least not if the hacktivist group Anonymous has anything to say about it.
The group, simply put, is at war with Sony over its suits against Hotz and other hackers.

Honestly though the approach does fringe on the first ammendment
Posted by: Asillynert 2011-04-12 16:27:43 In reply to: Erika Morphy
If someone were to steal gas then write a blog on how to do it. Then home depot took down everyone's ips and went and pulled the engine from theyre lawnmowers. Is a similar analogy, cause thats what sony did they took down a site protected by the first amendment and took ips and banned those people from the ps3 network. And those people shouldnt be subjected to that just for a viewing a site which btw is legal. It is protected by the first amendment if they can prove he pirated software that is bad. But there are sites with bomb making ect ect but they are protected by the first amendment.

Only half the case
Posted by: cward24 2011-04-12 06:17:42 In reply to: Erika Morphy
I see Mr. Collins point but it can be said that the same Home Depot after the purchase of a ladder would not take the top rung away after the point of sale. Not every one uses the top rung but a few may. This is in a way what Sony did about a year ago with disabling a feature that could install linux (by removing the OtherOS feature). Not every one used it but some did.

In this case it seems to me that both sides were in the wrong. Mr. Hotz publishing the METLDR keys and asking for defense money because he was perceived to be a Robin Hood for doing this act was not right. Sony getting the right to collecting IP addresses of every that visited the Geohot site and raising serious privacy issues was not right either.

Two wrongs do not usually make a right.

Using the Home Depot example
Posted by: jingjacksonwang 2011-04-12 05:50:42 In reply to: Erika Morphy
If I were to buy, let's say a lawnmower, from Home Depot it would be up to me what I can do with it since I already paid for it. If I purchased a PS3 is should be really up to me what I can do with it. Now with that said I think obviously if you choose to do whatever you want to it you void the warranty just like taking apart a lawnmower. There should be no other repercussions.

lawnmowers need gas
Posted by: droog 2011-04-12 14:13:48 In reply to: jingjacksonwang
Sure you can do what you want with your lawnmower, but if you steal the gas to run it, that's a problem. That's what's at stake here, the gas (IP) of artists, developers and publishers. Once Hotz *published* his hacks he stepped over the line.
It won't be a kid in Indiana using the hacks to steal games it will be China or Mexico stealing and selling them.
You need to think outside of your comfy little box.
Jump to:
Which of these technology gifts would you most like to receive?
Portable Power Charger
Remote Video Monitoring System
Smart Speaker
Smart Thermostat
Smart Watch
Streaming TV Player
Video Doorbell
VR Gaming Headset
WiFi Signal Booster
Wireless Earbuds / Headphones