Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: EC Scoffs at Microsoft's Offer to Ship Browser-Free OS

Re: EC Scoffs at Microsoft's Offer to Ship Browser-Free OS
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2009-06-12 17:39:21
See Full Story

Europe's nearly 18-month battle against the dominance of Microsoft's Internet Explorer has entered a new stage. The EC has rejected Microsoft's offer to strip Internet Explorer from some copies of Windows 7 destined to ship to the EU when the new operating system is released in the fall. Instead, the commission wants Microsoft to distribute Windows 7 with a variety of browsers so retailers and OEMs can decide which to use. Could that suggestion be based on protectionism?

Why cant someone just install the other browser?
Posted by: rlebherz 2009-06-12 17:46:53 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
As I am sitting here reading this I have Firefox, Chrome, Safari, IE, all on my machines.

Did it ship this way?
No, but I did my homework and the companies did their jobs by getting their names out there.

If Opera wants people to have a choice, then inform them of the choice, but dont go running to the antitrust board. If MS had blocked the ability to install a new browser that would be one thing. But the fact that the end user still has the ability to make a choice should be enough.

If you dont like the OS and browser or other combos, then develop your own and ship yours.

What's next, MS has to ship multiple copies of an office suite, or media player.

I actually installed Itunes as well, after market. Imagine that. I, the consumer, made a choice based off of the quality of the product and marketing.

Amen Brother (or Sister)
Posted by: Grannelle 2009-06-13 13:18:45 In reply to: rlebherz
I absolutely agree! I have the same browsers, plus Opera, and the last one I use is IE (I'm a personal fan of Safari). But rlebherz is right. I mean, it was nothing for AOL to put free CD-ROM's everywhere you look. Why can't the other browser manufacturers do the same? Talk about frivolous prosecution!

The whole point of living in a democratic society is having a choice. The idea of making MS load a choice of browsers is simply laziness on the part of the makers. Let them foot their own bill as far as distribution costs are concerned.
Jump to:
Which of these technology gifts would you most like to receive?
Portable Power Charger
Remote Video Monitoring System
Smart Speaker
Smart Thermostat
Smart Watch
Streaming TV Player
Video Doorbell
VR Gaming Headset
WiFi Signal Booster
Wireless Earbuds / Headphones