Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Will ICANN Drop Its Most Revolutionary Idea?

Re: Will ICANN Drop Its Most Revolutionary Idea?
Posted by: Naseem Javed 2009-06-04 10:59:53
See Full Story

ICANN, the Internet naming authority, is up against the wall. It may simply drop its greatest revolutionary idea of offering a brand new type of designer domain name to accommodate the cyberrealities of the widely expanded Internet of tomorrow. This new proposed platform would surely revolutionize marketing and branding for big and small businesses around the world, offering more highly affordable tools for global reach than ever before -- but there are strong opponents who would like to kill this idea.

DotTravel Anyone?
Posted by: lonewolf56 2009-06-05 20:48:33 In reply to: Naseem Javed
Promateus:
Since you completely missed the mark on my last post, allow me to clear something up for you. I am not beating the drum for major trademark owners or lobbying for the INTA. For the life of me, I have no idea how you arrived at that assumption and it says much more about your mindset than mine.

Let's discuss the dotTravel saga. The people hyping the "public demand" for gTLDs run like cockroaches whenever dotTravel is discussed. DotTravel was an example of a potentially great gTLD with a killer generic word, tons of financing and little competition to boot. And it died. DotSport anyone? The bottom line is that the only people clamoring for these new gTLDs are those who would immediately profit - ICANN, registrars and domain speculators. Few of them will be developed and a high percentage of development is the litmus test for the success of any TLD.

founder vs founder
Posted by: Promateus 2009-06-05 14:08:56 In reply to: Naseem Javed
Your argument of authority is meaningless. You invoke the founder of the WWW. In the referenced piece you submit, Berners-Lee says, rather unconvincingly, that the .mobi TLD is a disruptive idea. His title furthermore claims that .xxx would be disruptive but this is only alluded to, not developped. It should be noted also that he is very clear about making an argument specifically about the .mobi.

It seems to me that you are beating the drum of major trademark owners, as if you were a lobbying from INTA. Let it be clear, the only substantial argument against opening up the TLD space is the one that relate to the cost of "protecting trademark" accross an ever growing namespace. It is an old argument. It pre-dates the MoUvement.

Let me invoke the (co)founder and main politcal architect of the DNS, Jon Postel. I think my argument of authority trump yours any day of the week. He faced such trademark lobby opposition numerous times. His position was always that domain names should not be encaged by trademark law, and that a trademark holder should "brand" and "marketize" the domain names they chose, rather than reserve and/or reverse highjack all confusingly similar alphanumerical string. You like UDRP? (Read Geist quantitative analysis: fair.com) I don't. If Postel would have had his way, there would be no need for a UDRP. Or in any case it would have been very different.

ICANN and registrars wants those TLDs you say, no, good public policy wants those TLDs.

ICANN's Insanity
Posted by: lonewolf56 2009-06-04 11:11:09 In reply to: Naseem Javed
Naseem Javed keeps banging the drum for this as if he were an ICANN lobbyist. What he fails to reveal is that the vast majority of the "demand" for these new TLDs is coming from ICANN, registrars and domain speculators - the people who would immediately profit from this boondoggle. In fact, there has been very little, if any, actual public demand for these new TLDs.

The founder of the word wide web, Tim Berners-Lee, wrote a paper in 2004 explaining why the addition of more TLDs would have a catastrophic effect on the Internet. His predictions still hold true today: http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/TLD
Jump to:
Which of these technology gifts would you most like to receive?
Portable Power Charger
Remote Video Monitoring System
Smart Speaker
Smart Thermostat
Smart Watch
Streaming TV Player
Video Doorbell
VR Gaming Headset
WiFi Signal Booster
Wireless Earbuds / Headphones