Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Women in Tech
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Digital Music - What Napster Coined

Re: Digital Music - What Napster Coined
Posted by: Paul A. Greenberg 2001-08-09 01:58:38
See Full Story

Perhaps the most ironic development in the ongoing struggle of music file-sharing service
Napster is that the site spawned an entire industry of digital music.

Because Napster has found itself more focused on litigation than on doing business, its
archrivals in the recording industry have stepped up. In a matter of weeks, Napster could
well be overshadowed by the very corporate giants it sought
to displace with its business model.

Re: Digital Music - What Napster Coined
Posted by: Mehboob 2001-08-09 02:10:39 In reply to: Paul A. Greenberg
Sure, music artists need to be compensated for their creations. And that is what Napster ignored. I'd be interested in knowing if the music companies would compensate Shawn for showing them a whole new market and marketing opportunity, which heretofore had been completely ignored by them.

Instead of working with Napster, towards the legitimisation of this file-swapping service, they've created more monsters now than they can handle.

Given that there will always be an underground system existing for a legit one, will the forays of the music companies, e.g. PressPlay, work?

Jump to:
How will the pandemic influence your holiday shopping habits this year?
I will shop online exclusively, for my own safety and to help limit the spread of the coronavirus.
I will do some shopping online, and some in-person because I want to support merchants in my area.
I will shop online definitely, and I will consider local retailers -- but only if they provide curbside service.
I will only shop in-person because the risks associated with e-commerce outweigh my chance of catching COVID-19.
I will not do any holiday shopping this year due to circumstances related to the pandemic.