Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: E-Marketplaces: At What Cost?

Re: E-Marketplaces: At What Cost?
Posted by: ECT News 2001-03-22 13:57:56

See Full Story

Online purchasing could save firms up to 4 percent
this year and 8 percent by 2003, but those cost savings will come
with a hefty price tag,
according to a report released Wednesday by Forrester Research.

"E-marketplaces offer significant opportunities for buyers to lower prices
and streamline buying processes, but those savings require a significant
investment," Forrester analyst Matthew Sanders said. "Companies can make
the most out of these outlays by documenting workflows, leveraging their
integration efforts, and pushing their purchases online."

Re: E-Marketplaces: At What Cost?
Posted by: Ron Kennedy 2001-03-22 14:12:36 In reply to: ECT News
While I agree that organizations CAN spend almost unlimited amounts on e-marketplaces and related costs, they have other very reasonable alternatives. Such b2b marketplaces as www.terrecom.com (mine) and others such as www.rfqdata.com and www.rfpmarket.com allow organizations to use their on-line, real-time marketplaces for NEXT TO NOTHING! All organizations should use these types of marketplaces-and then, if desired, implement the more expensive approaches. Don't loose sight of the desired end results-SALES or OPTIMUM BUYS-and in this regard the internet is based on getting the maximum exposure for your sales/marketing or your buying options. The "Law of Large Numbers" effectively operates on-line, so the more exposure you have (I.E. the more "horizontal" and "neutral" marketplaces you participate in)the better your chances of making b2b ecommerce work for your organization! And, I might add, this holds true for both public and private sectors.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.