Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Right business models for Location Based Advertising

Re: Can Google Crack the Mobile Advertising Nut?
Posted by: Paul Korzeniowski 2008-12-12 16:28:20
See Full Story

Google: The name conjures up images of a brilliant company, one able to anticipate customer desires and consistently deliver leading-edge technology more effectively than competitors. Having captured and kept a commanding lead in desktop search, Google has now set its sights on cell phones and mobile advertising. Earlier this week, Google announced it's pushing its AdWords program onto the mobile platform. Sponsors will be able to show their advertisements on handhelds like the iPhone, the T-Mobile G1, and others that use full HTML browsers.

Commercial-wise
Posted by: VoxAppeal 2008-12-30 08:16:05 In reply to: Paul Korzeniowski
I like to think (don't we all?) that I'm wise to the tricks of advertising and subliminal marketing. And whenever I feel faced with a brand that shouldn't be there or that I didn't ask for, I deliberately avoid those brands when shopping.

Commercial breaks in the middle of any interesting/exciting broadcast or communication are the worst, but integrated, non-invasive advertising I do purposefully take notice of.

I do hope though, that any further advertising channels and content will take into account my personal LANGUAGE rather than that of wherever I happen to be, which just gives me the impression they haven't taken the effort...

Right business models for Location Based Advertising
Posted by: Schapsis 2008-12-15 08:20:56 In reply to: Paul Korzeniowski
I don't think people will accept to receive ads on their cellular phones. Moreover this can be very expensive. The current problem is most companies try to copy known advertising models to the mobile world without success. I believe the winning model will have a mix of old fashion and new-tech types of media.

I addressed this point in one of my post today regarding business models for Location Based Social Networking @ www.bdnooz.com

No place for ads on cell phones
Posted by: Skye 2008-12-12 17:08:24 In reply to: Paul Korzeniowski
Many of us old-timers have learned our lessons the hard way. We still remember why we were paying out hard earned cash for cable TV and how big business has run roughshod over us and our pocketbook when it comes to electronic communications. So if they want to appeal to this age group, the one that will most likely be paying the bills, then they had better find a way to make sure that we are not paying for all of that slick brainwashing. I am sorry. I keep doing that. I really have to try harder to be politically correct. I have no intention of offending anyone. Let me restate that last comment. They had better find a way that we are not paying for that slick “advertising”. Many of us use our cell phones strictly for business and when necessary. I would consider any interruptions rude and offensive. That is why most people have utilized the “no call” list and pop-up blockers. Will we need a similar solution for the blocking of unwanted ads on our cells phones? Between the costs of my cell phone, my home phone and internet I could afford a mortgage on a small starter home so they had better make it worth my while. I have just cut out all the bells and whistles with my phone communications. Since I am stuck with dial-up there is not a whole lot I can do about that. I think you will be finding most Americans down sizing and even their love affair with electronic gadgets is not going to stop them from making the hard choices because in the end, hunger, cold and the lack of shelter win out.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.