Instantly delete email threats with 365 Threat Monitor » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Solving the Internet Giveaway Riddle

Re: Solving the Internet Giveaway Riddle
Posted by: ECT News 2001-07-30 06:26:19
See Full Story

In mid-April, two days after Yahoo! announced plans to lay off 12 percent of its workforce in the face of a prolonged advertising slump, fellow portal iWon.com gave an Atlanta, Georgia man a US$10 million prize.

While Yahoo! has given up only a tiny portion of its dominant market share to iWon so far, the contrasting events raise a question: With portals and e-tailers failing regularly, how is that sites that give money away for, well, a few minutes worth of attention, are managing to survive?

Re: Solving the Internet Giveaway Riddle
Posted by: jkcity 2001-07-30 06:31:01 In reply to: ECT News
I don't actually think it is viable in the long run to be giving so much money away. Maybe smaller prizes, although iwon say they are doing alright I actually believe they are hurting. No one can give that large prizes away without hurting, and the only people that return day after day are gambling addicts, kids or people who don't have a lot of money to start with, not exactly top marketing demographics.

This is all assumption though as I have never seen their demographics, but I would not believe any collected by them, or any site.

It's easy to select that your household income is $100,000 a year. I mean, you are not exactly going to put $10000 if that was the case, and also it's easy to lie about your age.

Jump to:
How important is social media to the success of your business?
Highly -- Social media is essential to our business model.
Somewhat -- We do see benefit from social media, but without it our operations would continue.
Minimally -- We're on social media because that's expected, though it's influence on our success is negligible.
Not at All -- Social media is not useful to our business.