Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Web-Based Virtual Law Offices Run By Licensed Attorneys

Re: Law and the Internet, Part 2: A Little Help From the Pros
Posted by: Paul Korzeniowski 2008-10-20 06:25:24
See Full Story

Self-promotion: Some would say that lawyers excel at it, but when it comes to actual advertising and marketing, a lot of them can be a step or two behind other businesses. "In the 1960s, my dad -- who was a lawyer -- sent a note to a client telling him to call if he had any questions about a certain issue," Adrian Lurssen, Director of Communications at JDSupra.com, told the E-Commerce Times. "One of his colleagues questioned the letter because it seemed like the firm was inappropriately soliciting new business."

Web-Based Virtual Law Offices Run By Licensed Attorneys
Posted by: VLOTech 2008-10-22 13:30:52 In reply to: Paul Korzeniowski
Web-based Virtual Law Offices (VLOs) are a way for licensed solos and small firm attorneys to practice law securely online. This emerging trend should be included in the article.

A completely web-based virtual law office (VLO) is a professional law practice that exists online through a secure portal and is accessible to the client and the attorney anywhere the parties may access the Internet. A VLO provides attorneys and clients with the ability to securely discuss matters online, download and upload documents for review and handle other business transactions in a secure digital environment. The software is a hosted, software as a service product.

Virtual Law Office Technology (VLOTech) sets up VLOs for attorneys nationwide. Some practice law completely online and others combine the VLO with their traditional brick & mortar practice.

I am the co-founder of VLOTech and I have been practicing law online with my web-based VLO for the past three years. The public is very eager for attorneys to provide this method of obtaining legal services. I published a free ebook entitled, Practicing Law Online: Creating a Web-Based Virtual Law Office, which anyone may download and read here: http://www.vlotech.com/ebooks/PracticingLawOnline.pdf It discusses the technology and ethics considerations with this unique form of practicing law. Expect to see more VLOs and virtual law practices emerging across the country.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.