Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Speed! Java Rendering! Speed!

Re: Chrome's Tiny Market Share Dwindles as Experimenters Head Home
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2008-10-08 10:01:43
See Full Story

Google's new Web browser, Chrome, is key to the company's push to connect its myriad Web offerings and become an integrated online service provider. That said, writing it off a month after its release -- based partly on figures that show a decline in downloads -- seems more Schadenfreude than sober analysis. Chrome's share of the overall market peaked on Sept. 4 at 1.16 percent, according to NetApplications. By Oct. 5, that number had dropped to 0.81 percent. Usage appears to have stabilized at about .7 percent.

Speed! Java Rendering! Speed!
Posted by: FichenDich 2008-10-08 11:01:43 In reply to: Erika Morphy
For myself, all of the detractions pale into insignificance simply due to two things. Chrome is far and away faster than every other browser ! It handles Java rendering faster AND better than nearly every other browser !

Did I mention it is FAST ?

Stand alone browsers have their own benefits. The program downloads and installs in seconds. If more people actually gave it a try, no doubt many of them would become converts. And duh, but the computer can use more than one browser ! Firefox's addons, extensions, etc are wonderful. You can use both !

And finally, Internet Explorer's ability to render Java is insufferable. I.E. is the Model T. Chrome is the Corvette. That alone will keep it on my computer. Oh, almost forgot. Look at your Task Manager sometime when heavily using I.E. Notice that you have say ten windows open, but the T.M. shows 13 instances of I.E. That never happens with Chrome. Google's comic explains the nuts and bolts of why this is so.

Nothing however prepares you for how incredibly fast Chrome is.

Schadenfreude ?
Posted by: bpmmx 2008-10-08 10:02:28 In reply to: Erika Morphy
What's Schadenfreude..?

what is schadenfreude?
Posted by: just4kicks 2008-10-08 16:53:07 In reply to: bpmmx
Schadenfreude is defined as "enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others."
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.