Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick eBook
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Touchy words: Chinese democracy

Re: Blogger Faces Hard Time for Posting Guns N' Roses Music
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2008-08-29 02:20:28
See Full Story

No one can say what 27-year-old Kevin Cogill expected when he apparently posted nine songs from an unreleased and long-awaited Guns N' Roses album called "Chinese Democracy" to his Web site earlier this summer. It could have been anything from monetary gain to a desire to be the first to distribute the long-anticipated songs. However, he likely didn't expect to find the FBI at his door with an arrest warrant. That's exactly what happened at the behest of the Recording Industry Association of America.

Touchy words: Chinese democracy
Posted by: richardszabo 2008-12-02 02:34:26 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Fatso. Skinny legs. Four-eyes. Touchy words can be best left unsaid or sometimes very amusing to bring up. In any case everybody has a deep inner flame that is like a ticking time bomb, waiting to explode.

Today if you asked China’s ruling Communist Party what its most touchy word is, it would probably reply “Chinese Democracy” - the title of Guns N’ Roses’ long-awaited and controversial new album.

Days after its release Chinese state-run media published articles, accusing the band of “viciously attacking” China. Chinese bloggers responded to these articles with highly nationalistic overtones, similar to that seen when protests shrouded the Beijing Olympic Torch relay. Comments such as “bull,” “despicable” and “American trash” could be seen. Some even went so far as to criticise Westerners for their obsession with “sex, drugs, and violence.”

But let’s not forget the true intention behind the song was not to be hostile in the slightest. Anyone who has seen the music video and knows their history is likely to say that it blends footage of the Iraqi war, Tiananmen Square protests and some Falun Gong exercisers, to give hope that one day there may be a true democracy in China with more personal freedoms.

Why is the Chinese leadership so touchy about this song then? Part of the answer lies in the 17-year delay in the song’s release. Nowadays few young Chinese deeply understand both sides of the highly propagandised 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre events. Many of them also feel uncertain over the potential success of a Chinese democracy, even though many will admit they felt intrigued and even a bit excited about the US presidential debate.

China’s biggest sore point, however, was the reference to the state’s arbitrary detention and relentless thumping of exercisers practicing Falun Gong, a banned and suppressed spiritual practice resembling tai chi or yoga, based on truth, compassion and tolerance. “You [i.e. the Chinese leadership] think you got it all locked up inside, and if you beat them all up they’ll die,” the lyrics read.

Despite this, it seems that more Chinese are mustering the courage to openly criticise bungles and corruption at the hands of their own government officials. A couple of bloggers urged others to be more “open-minded” and conceded that both the Chinese government and its people are “indeed imperfect.”

Perhaps I am a bit of an idealist in how I try hard not to lose hope that people will be able to overcome their touchy side, admit people have faults and, in turn, become more accepting of others.

Is Axel Rose really that desperate?
Posted by: cautus 2008-09-04 05:07:54 In reply to: Erika Morphy
What I find interesting is that nowhere in this story does it say how Mr. Cogill came into possession of these tracks. Also, what is his status as a blogger? Does he actually make money from his blogging activites, or is he just an ignorant fan who didn't really think about what he was doing? I think there should be a distinction made because while I'm all for rounding up people who pirate intellectual property specifically to make a lot of money, the idea that some poor schmuck should do federal jail time for what amounts to free publicity for a band and a singer no one really gives a crap about anymore isn't really kosher in my book.
Jump to:
What was your initial reaction to news of the Colonial Pipeline cyberattack?
It demonstrates that all critical infrastructure sectors are at high risk of disruption by cybercriminals.
Everyone will be paying for this attack in the form of higher energy costs.
Governments need to work more closely with private industries to protect networks for the sake of public safety.
It's a global problem. An international alliance must be formed to hold the perpetrators accountable and prevent future attacks.