Instantly delete email threats with 365 Threat Monitor » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Is Windows Getting Morbidly Obese?

Re: Is Windows Getting Morbidly Obese?
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2008-04-11 13:15:39
See Full Story

Microsoft Windows is collapsing under its own weight and must radically change for the sake of users, independent software vendors and Microsoft itself, according to research firm Gartner. Because Microsoft Windows is so large and complex, covering 20 years of legacy code, it can no longer adequately respond to market forces, and Windows needs to be securely redesigned, said Gartner analysts Michael Silver and Neil MacDonald. They delivered the news at the Gartner Symposium/ITxpo 2008 in Las Vegas this week.

Vista? No thanks!
Posted by: GuyFawkes 2008-04-11 15:44:45 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I could personally name several friends who are so disgusted with Vista's performance (and "dumbing down" of the interface) that they have asked me how to transition to Linux.
At work, where I am the #2 guy in the IT Department, the law is "no Vista." If we can't buy the machine with XP Pro, we'll shop elsewhere.
Frankly, there is no compelling reason for us to move to a new OS; if Microsoft ever drops all support (meaning security patches) for XP completely, we're ready to migrate everything, from the servers to the desktops, to free open-source replacements. Everything has been tested. We expect about a month of "user chaos" while our users get used to the new stuff, but that's actually about 2 weeks less than the level of chaos we experienced going from Win2K to XP.
Microsoft needs to understand that a flashy new CPU-hog of a desktop is NOT a compelling reason to buy a new version of Windows. Give me WinXP with the Win2K desktop (get rid of that idiotic "Fisher-Price" interface, designed for people with an IQ smaller than 40) and with the security improvements promised (and not actually found) in Vista, and *then* we'll have something worth buying again. But trying to sell us the same old crap in a new sack is not going to fly.

Windows is a pig
Posted by: jdearden 2008-04-11 14:34:31 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I had a PC with a 400MHz Celeron, 64M of ram, and Windows 98. It was great, did everything I wanted. Then I got a new PC with a 1.8GHz Celeron (4x as fast), 128M of ram (2x), and Windows XP. It was useless. I could hardly do anything with it until I put a 1/2Gig of ram in it. And what did I get in return for all the extra resources Windows XP requires? NTFS file system? Had that with NT4.0 that ran on a 486. Bubbly looking buttons and title bars? Turned them off to save the resources.
My XP machine has 35 processes running, most of which I have no idea if they should be there, or if they are something someone slipped onto my machine through one of the many holes I'm sure Microsoft left on purpose so they could 'enhance our experience'.
Microsoft has merged their desktop and server operating systems to the detriment of both. The server OS should have text based configuration and all the power focused on serving. The desktop OS should be there solely to enable me to run the programs that I want to run.
Jump to:
How important is social media to the success of your business?
Highly -- Social media is essential to our business model.
Somewhat -- We do see benefit from social media, but without it our operations would continue.
Minimally -- We're on social media because that's expected, though it's influence on our success is negligible.
Not at All -- Social media is not useful to our business.